Headlight Switch and Dome Light Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACQB

Reaction score
Thought there was a post on this, but can't seem to find it.....Sorry for the possible repeat????
2006 Eddie Bauer. 5.4L all the bells and whistles except video system.
Have two (might be related, might not be related??) electrical issues.

1) The back lights on the headlight switch assembly are dead. All other dash & steering wheel controls are still backlit. Its a black hole now on the left side of the steering column. Is there a bulb in the switch assembly that can be replaced? Google and YouTube have come up empty.
Headlight switches and controls still all work as usual, just can't see them at all now at night.
See the assembly is $100+/- online to replace. Rather replace a $1-2 bulb if its possible. Part number? Our local dealer parts dept was no help at all as usual. Wanted to sell me a replacement switch for $160.

2) Dome light issue. When the Expy is running, if you open the drivers door the dome lights come on and turn right off.
If its not running and open the drivers door the dome lights come on a stay on as normal.
All other doors and lift gate work the dome lights as usual running or not. Its just the drivers door that isn't working as expected and only when its running.
Anyone have any idea's these two?????

OP
OP
ACQB

ACQB

Reaction score
How's your soldering skills ? it's soldered onto the circuit board. If you go to all the trouble, I'd replace it with a 12v diode LED.

https://www.amazon.com/Bowerful-50pcs-12V-5mm-White/dp/B074Z5K23S/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=5mm+12v+diodes&qid=1612219870&sr=8-4&th=1
Sorry for the delayed response.
Have solder sucker iron and pencil solderer, will travel. Have a vague understanding of how to do it, are there any cheat sheets or video's out there on the interwebz I can glean some more knowledge off of before performing surgery? Do you happen to know if its a "white" led and the "green" comes from the lens in the switch assembly, or is it an actual green LED? Have some "white" 3mm & 5mm LED bulbs on hand from a previous project.
Thanks!