Headphones and RSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpy19

Reaction score
2 Questions for those with the RSE system. I have the headphones that came with the car connected via Bluetooth to the RSE. If I want the two kids in the third row to also have headphones on and listen to the movie (assume the same thing is playing on both screens) is that possible, and how do I pair multiple head phones to the same RSE unit?

Second question is the RSE system on the passenger side sometimes does not respond to the power button. It is hit or miss whether that unit turns on after repeatedly pressing the power button. Is it defective or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the headphones, you may end up having to let the 3rd seat passengers use the wireless headphones and have the 2nd seat passengers plug in manually to the headphone jacks in each monitor.

The power button issue is not normal. My passenger's side monitor turns on without any issues.

Jay Mellon

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my passenger side RSE monitor not powering on at times. I don't have a fix for it, but can at least confirm the problem isn't limited to your vehicle.

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
The headphones that come with the car are not "connected" in the same way as bluetooth. For Bluetooth you could only have one pair of headphones connected to one screen.

The RSE uses Infrared transmitters which transmit the audio to any compatible infrared headset that is in direct line of sight of the screen. In principle it doesn't matter how many headsets are receiving the signal - they will all work as long as they are compatible and switched to the correct channel (A or B in the case of our RSE systems in the Expedition)

I have had 3 kids watching the same screen with no problems - 2 using the Ford headsets switched to the same channel and a third using plug in headphones into the headphone jack. I can't see any reason why you couldn't use 3 or more compatible headsets with the same screen, but I've never tried it with more than 2

Mark

ExpyWeave

Reaction score
The factory installed RES is horrible to use, in comparison to other makes I've had before! Both my headphones have a ton of static, so much you cannot hear the sound on the show. Anyone else have this issue?

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
The headsets sound OK, but they are pretty crappy quality, so I could see how they could quickly sound bad if they are being kicked around the car by kids. I tend to use cheap wired headsets for my kids as they have no concept of how to look after stuff :)