Replaced battery and reset BMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2020 Expedition Limited and noticed the auto stop start wasn’t working. When I cycled through the menus in the dash I could see that it would tell me that Auto stop start was not functioning due to vehicle charging.

I ran a quick battery test and the state of charge was around 40% even though voltage was fine. The truck has no problem starting or anything else.

I purchased a H7 AGM battery from Walmart for $180 and put it in. Then I reset the Battery Management System by performing the following procedure.

BMS Reset Procedure:

Push start button once, but don’t start.

Flash high beams 5 times

Press brake pedal 3 times

Watch battery light on dash and wait for it to flash

Start vehicle and the system should be reset.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expedition Workshop Manual sections regarding Charging System operation and Battery Load Shed events are attached below...

Attachments

• Charging System - System Operation and Component Description - 2020 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    211.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Battery Load Shed - Description and Operation - 2020 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    134.1 KB · Views: 24

Danm355

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2020 Expedition Limited and noticed the auto stop start wasn’t working. When I cycled through the menus in the dash I could see that it would tell me that Auto stop start was not functioning due to vehicle charging.

I ran a quick battery test and the state of charge was around 40% even though voltage was fine. The truck has no problem starting or anything else.

I purchased a H7 AGM battery from Walmart for $180 and put it in. Then I reset the Battery Management System by performing the following procedure.

BMS Reset Procedure:

Push start button once, but don’t start.

Flash high beams 5 times

Press brake pedal 3 times

Watch battery light on dash and wait for it to flash

Start vehicle and the system should be reset.
That works great. I had to do that on my wife's 2020 escape when we replaced the battery.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire