Heater Core Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfriesen

Reaction score
So my wife and I just bought our 99 Exp EB 5.8 a couple of months ago in order to move to MN from WA this winter (1700 miles). The heat in our 99 Exp EB worked fine the whole way. However, after being in MN for about a week the cabin started to fill with smoke from every nook and cranny in and around and below the dash followed by a strong coolant odor.

After reading several forums I have been advised that the heater core has gone bad and that it needs to be replaced. I have also read that in my particular Exp there is a front and rear heater core. If I am going to replace 1 should I replace both at the same time?

From what I have read I have seen dealerships and mechanic shops charging anywhere from $1200-2500 to replace the heater core. I looked up the replacement heater core and it looks like I can replace it for $65~ but I have also read that it will require removing the entire dash. I am leaning on doing the repair myself however I've been reading that completing the repair will take 8-10hrs.

As it is winter, I would like to wait to do the repair until it warms up a bit and came across a temporary fix to remove the inlet and outlet hoses (to the heater core) and couple them together using a flush kit "T". I have the part to do this but can anyone confirm that this will work as a temporary fix? (Yes I realize I wont have heat by doing this but it will buy me some time until better weather)

Has anyone else experienced this happening? How did you resolve? Do you have any tips or suggestions?

RussW

Reaction score
If you put the "T" up by the heater core you should still get coolant to the rear heater core and have a little heat in the vehicle.

The dash removal isn't too bad if you follow a diagram for the fasteners. I replaced my front heater core in 6 hours. I had 2 major problems....

1) I broke the shift cable during the repair because I didn't release it from the anchor bracket by the steering column.

2) I just got mine running today after it sat for several months. I forgot a wire connection under the right side of the dash. The simples part of the job and I overlooked the connector on re-assembly.

The 3rd problem was minor,....I broke the blend door because I was in a hurry.

There are a couple useful videos on youtube showing the removal of the dash.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, normal problem on these. It is easy to replace but time consuming. You will need to be organized with the bolts, nuts and screw removal in order to speed up the reassembly. Mine has been through 3 HC's so far, two with the previous owner. Rear HC is original.
Battery operated tools help here quite a bit. Put my Dewalt 1/4" & 1/2" impacts to good use with the swap.

Let us know when your jumping into it, there are plenty here that have done it and can help you through the process.

mc0311grunt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little time consuming but not bad. Theres viideos on youtube that show you which screws to remove. Piss on paying someone to do it.

06KR

Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry that is not a fun project. Core is cheap but as said very time consuming. I waited over a year to change mine. I wouldn't say it was easy, however I could think of worse projects like head gaskets.

OP
OP
J

jfriesen

Reaction score
Ok so as a temporary solution I cut the inlet and outlet hoses and coupled them together with a radiator flush kit 'T'. After a couple weeks there is no coolant/exhaust smell in the cabin and my windows are not fogging up nearly as bad. Still a few more weeks until the weather warms up enough to take on the full project but I will update with pictures and results.

Right now I am planning on doing the following during the heater core repair:
1. Replace both front and rear heater cores
3. I will either couple the inlet and outlet hoses or completely replace based on price. (I've heard they can get expensive)
2. While the dash is out I will also solder the diode on the back of the gauge cluster as I am having the common mileage display fade.

Attachments

• 20130327_173530.jpg
    20130327_173530.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7,542