Hello from swo-moe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I-void-warranties

Reaction score
My name is Aaron. I am a full time wrench spinner and have been for years. I recently bought a 2000 XLT 5.4 AWD. Day after buying it the front pump grenaded itself in my driveway. After removing the transmission I decided to swap it for a 2wd transmission and sell the extra parts off for what I have in the xpo.

Have a couple of project ideas coming up soon with it and would like to get some input. Currently the front suspension is a lot higher than factory because of the weight reduction and the rear springs sound like garbage cans being run over.

First plans are brake overhaul and lower suspension. Previous owner had 245/75-16 tires installed. Current ride height through centerline of wheel is 37 3/4 front and 35 5/8 rear, does anyone have any measurements to compare that to? Looking at the 2 or 3 inch rear spring drop and attempting to level the front with that drop in mind. I will be adding airlift 1000 insert bags to the springs with a wireless compressor. Brakes will be factory Ford pads/rotors/calipers all the way around.

Hope everyone is doing well.

OP
OP
I

I-void-warranties

Reaction score
I completed the torsion bar swap yesterday as a means of lowering the front end. If you swap left to right and front to back the front end came down 3 inches with the adjustment screws in the same locations. Recommend anyone attempting this spend a few days soaking the bars and related hardware with whatever penetrating fluid you prefer. Freeze off and Seafoam Creep seem to work best for me. Second part is heat, either an inductive heater or a rose bud will do the trick. Doesn't need to be orange, just hot enough to expand, then cool it off, repeat process several times then tap them out.

OP
OP
I

I-void-warranties

Reaction score
Follow up for anyone who finds this post later. I sold the expedition. After completing the drop I noticed the alignment was much worse after road tests. With 245/75-16 tires the fender arch in the front can be no lower than 34.5 inches from the ground through the center line of the wheel to have correct alignment adjustments. The rear can be as low as 32 inches through the center line of the wheel. Monroe makes a set of air shocks part number MA824 that bolt in to the factor location when 2 inch lowering springs are installed.