Hello from Washington!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm Ray, recently purchased a 2016 Expedition Limited in Ingot Silver with 20k on the clock. So far, I installed a JLT oil catch which seems to work well! Looking into other goodies to shower the new baby with. I look forward to sharing stories and ideas with everyone!

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a 16 with 20K is great. I am buying a 17 with 35K but it was a lease rental from Seattle. its Oxford white with dune leather, nav,etc. will be trading my 07 with 84K miles. I am somewhat scared of the 5.4 which has had Lotts of problems in the past. I have rented new expys for years for vacation. I love them. By the way Ray does Seattle use much salt in the winter on their roads?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.4L is nothing to be scared of, it’s a reliable engine. There have been some hiccups with the VCT components in the past but often poor maintenance is a contributing factor. If those issues should arise in your vehicle you have the timing cover pulled and have the components replaced.....it is repairable. The key to a healthy 5.4L is good upkeep. The 3.5 EcoBoost is not without its own issues some related to timing.

Last edited:

Bmoe

Reaction score
Hi What's a JLT Oil catch and is this something I should get on mine? Also, how do I do a signature block on my replies and posts?

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
Sorry for the late replies, I should check here more often...

fordexpylvr: Thanks! You're going to like your '17. No salt here. I remembered one time there was an ice storm and they salted the roads ONCE. My 03 explorer I bought here in 06 has absolutely no rust on the bottom. I think you're getting one of the cleanest ones!

jexpedition07, I agree. I hear the 5.4 is a solid engine once the bugs are worked out, and there's not many to correct.

bmoe, The f150 drivers (all DI engines in general) are saying their 3.5 ecoboost are having some minor issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves, mainly caused by the oil blowby from the passenger side pcv valve circuit. The JLT oil catch can is installed inline with the passenger side pcv valve and will trap most of the oil going into the intake preventing most of the carbon buildup. Its also the least expensive, easiest to install solution. literally less than 10 minutes to install. I think its a good idea to get! I also use CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner before each oil change (1 so far) and empty the oil catch after every tank of fuel. Its a full cup by then. Another member mentioned Trasko oil filters and they look really good too. I bought one awaiting the next oil change.

Thank you stamp11127, 1997scebfex, and dogdad! :D

Last edited: