Help, california is insane, mpg mods needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow $4 gallon?!? California has went off the deep end. When I was in Miami a few weeks ago it was also $4.00 for 87 octane but that was by the airport

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had the pleasure of using a (old type) gas can to pour gas into my Expy. I was down to 6 miles left because I wasn't paying attention. It leaked all over the ground through the filler tube area and it took me a "while" to figure out you need the Expy filler funnel packaged with the jack stuff to get the little gate to open so it goes down the hatch. Now I know. Learn something new every day. No way to add gas without that!

Is that the NEW EXPY?

will you be doing Krown or Fluid Film asap?

That's the capless system for you, not the can's fault

You can just trigger the unlocking tab and stick a funnel in there

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are some great reads/articles regarding how poorly designed the modern regulation gas can is:

https://www.aier.org/article/your-new-gas-can-still-doesnt-work

https://tucker.liberty.me/why-your-new-gas-can-is-ridiculous-and-evil/

Oh yeah baby, that's the one

For sheer "I must be an idgit or something" frustration and confusion, it's like RoHS lead-free electronics solder.... but with the added benefit of beaucoup spillage of fire hazardous crap all over yourself and the general vicinity

One thing I don't get: does this regulation somehow ban a spring-loaded, self-closing bolt-action style gadget that'd both unlock and vent the spout when triggered???

PS just how much electronics solder per capita lifetime usage do those silly Eurocrats think there is???? Surely there's plenty more toxic and less useful crap to eliminate

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Btw, you know what just kills me?

2019-04-30 17.29.20.png

They even managed to crush the AFTERMARKET attempt to let you fix the problem.... this despite any violations you may or may not commit with this piece of plastic being purely voluntary and of your volition.

What if you wanted to rig it up for something perfectly legal and inoffensive like non-potable handwashing water????

And what the hell happened to letting people make their own decisions, good or bad, legal or not, BEFORE cracking down on the wrongdoers????

What's next, banning metal pipes because they COULD be used for such maleovalent practices as whacking people upside the head or removing catalytic converters????

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can order one to NY and CA but it’s a company that calls them “watering cans” the plastic and spout just so happens to be rated for gasoline

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And what the hell happened to letting people make their own decisions, good or bad, legal or not, BEFORE cracking down on the wrongdoers????

What's next, banning metal pipes because they COULD be used for such maleovalent practices as whacking people upside the head or removing catalytic converters????

And now you know why the pro-2nd Amendment people get all pissy when the government tries to institute yet another piece of gun control.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And now you know why the pro-2nd Amendment people get all pissy when the government tries to institute yet another piece of gun control.

True

But with guns, at least there ARE certain unreasonable levels that there's a wide public consensus DO warrant some regulation...

You wouldn't want convicted violent felons or devout Middle Eastern fellows on tourist visas freely and legally renting a howitzer or a claymore mine from a perfectly legal strip mall rental shop or better yet via a cellphone app, would you?

Or middle schoolers being able to buy remote controlled quadcopters with minigun autocannons at walmart?

There are reasonable limits... emphasis on reasonable, and gas spouts that don't friggin work ain't reasonable

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Know your pain... Google how to drive better to save gas. I read a few of threads and really you cannot do much to save gas with the expeditions. Tires are the biggest hogs. Stock size tires and a summer tread helps. Cut unnecessary weigh like tons of tools, and see if you put it on a diet. Combine your trips and keep up on oil changes and maintenance. Save you money for a 4 banger. I have a 2015 kia soul too for work.

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bro, I FEEL your pain!!! I also live in So. Cal. and for the life of me, CAN'T ABIDE getting ripped off! I travel to Utah a few times a month and their gas prices-two weeks ago was $2.58/gal most everywhere and cheaper at Costco!!! I HATE the lefty run gov't. of this state!!! It's disgusting what they've done here!!! Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. Sorry, I have NO magic pill for you other than doing as I will-MOVE to A MORE SANE STATE!!! I drive my 2000 EB as little as possible for now.