HELP.. NOOB with unexplainable problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etmydst

Reaction score
First of all hello.. I am a new member and probably going to be a longtime member.. I have a 2002 expedition XLT 2wd with the 4.6. 84,000 miles. well i have a problem with it.. here are the symptoms..NEVER had any tranny/other symptoms of a problem ever..

when on the brake in "drive" the vehicle wants to surge forward, If i keep my foot on the brake while surging the car will surge,surge,surge(almost overpowering the brakes) then die... in reverse it just dies.. then when taking off it acts like it starts in the wrong gear( It feels like an old cj jeep when popping the clutch to takeoff) and is sluggish ,but when at speed its fine.. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT at all...

Funny thing is the next day It was doing it ,so i called the tow truck, and to the dealer it went.. At the dealer it did NOTHING they said it had no codes only p1000 (because i unhooked the battery trying to fix it myself, with no success).. and they took it on a 5 mile run ..NO symptoms..

So I drive it home and then the OD light starts flashing so i turn the vehicle off in a parking lot, then on again.. OD light turns off but then the vehicle starts the symptoms again... STARTS IN WRONG GEAR (OR FEELS LIKE IT) BUT NOW IN REVERSE IT SURGES..sometimes "drive" but not all the time , also no check engine light.. but at speed it shifts/drives fine..

any info will help me out alot..this is our family vehicle and we use it on outings... PLEASE GURUS help a noob out thanks... if this is in the wrong spot moderators please place it correctly..

JEFF....

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

etmydst

Reaction score
well i actually had to spend $2800 for a refurbished transmission at the ford dealer. I guess it was the electronic contol computer for the transmission went out keeping the converter in the locked position, ultimately eating it up (the converter) causing metal shavings in my transmission. i could have just changed the converter with tranny ecm for $1600. but for $1200 more i could have a redone tranny with all new parts plus a 3 year warranty so i paid the extra $1200 better safe than sorry ... it drives like a dream now..no shudders and even better gas mileage... thanks for the reply..

ohh BTW i have a 2002 xlt LIGHT wedgewood blue with k&n cold air filtercharger system flowmaster exhaust with dual 3" pipes out the back 10" lcd dvd screen with tv tuner 20" unique wheels with 305/50/20's other than that its stock...

Last edited:

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well i actually had to spend $2800 for a refurbished transmission at the ford dealer. I guess it was the electronic contol computer for the transmission went out keeping the converter in the locked position, ultimately eating it up (the converter) causing metal shavings in my transmission. i could have just changed the converter with tranny ecm for $1600. but for $1200 more i could have a redone tranny with all new parts plus a 3 year warranty so i paid the extra $1200 better safe than sorry ... it drives like a dream now..no shudders and even better gas mileage... thanks for the reply..

ohh BTW i have a 2002 xlt LIGHT wedgewood blue with k&n cold air filtercharger system flowmaster exhaust with dual 3" pipes out the back 10" lcd dvd screen with tv tuner 20" unique wheels with 305/50/20's other than that its stock...

That was a good decision to just get the whole tranny replaced. Sounds like you have a sweet lookin ride, you can post pics in the show and tell section if you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1