Transmission problems 10r80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mirianb

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2020 Ford Expedition that is the same 10r80 transmission and I have 2 problems:

The changes from 1 to 4 fail me and it very rarely slides, it has no power at those speeds, and when I press the accelerator there is a loud noise like metal hitting each other, it seems like metal chains hitting each other, the sound also seems like If it were a power failure in the transmission, I honestly don't know where the noise comes from, while it makes that noise, which is for 4 seconds, the D starts to flicker, when I brake and the revs drop it seems like it makes a knock inside but it's not loud and the car gets heavy.

Another problem it has is that the temperature if I am in traffic goes up or going slow at 40 mph or 30 mhp goes up to 220 f or more.

Friend, could you tell me what you think is wrong with the transmission and what would be your advice?

For now what I did was change the fuel, the filter and the oil and it improved a lot, but the transmission continues to heat up.

OP
OP
M

mirianb

Reaction score
Excuse my English, what I did was change the transmission filter and the oil and it improved a lot but the failure continues, when I saw the filter there were no metals inside, the oil was not burned but it was not perfect either, my Ford has 120,000 miles

sf-expedition

Reaction score
Hi - I had the same transmission problem and quite a few others reported the same issue. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the recommended fix called TSB 23-2120. The service center performed the fix that was recommended and I have driven over 10k miles and not had the transmission problem in my 2020 XLT Expedition since.

Hope that helps.

omandave

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2020 Ford Expedition that is the same 10r80 transmission and I have 2 problems:

The changes from 1 to 4 fail me and it very rarely slides, it has no power at those speeds, and when I press the accelerator there is a loud noise like metal hitting each other, it seems like metal chains hitting each other, the sound also seems like If it were a power failure in the transmission, I honestly don't know where the noise comes from, while it makes that noise, which is for 4 seconds, the D starts to flicker, when I brake and the revs drop it seems like it makes a knock inside but it's not loud and the car gets heavy.

Another problem it has is that the temperature if I am in traffic goes up or going slow at 40 mph or 30 mhp goes up to 220 f or more.

Friend, could you tell me what you think is wrong with the transmission and what would be your advice?

For now what I did was change the fuel, the filter and the oil and it improved a lot, but the transmission continues to heat up.
This reminds me of what happened to my 2019 Expidition Limited. We initially had the filter Trans fluid replaced in early Dec 2023 because the shop could not recreate the issues... and then a month later we took it in and they are replacing the transmission with a brand new one... would have been $8000 but we bought an extended warrantee when we purchased it, used back in August 2023... so $200 deductible. it had a TCM code for Friction element F and when they opend up the transmission the saw a boat load of metal shavings ...

I feel for you... and I hope that you can get it figured out.
wishing you success however it turns out.
Cheers.

BP 09

Reaction score
Time for a trip to a dealer or reputable trans shop, sounds like your CDF drum bushing has slipped out of place.

Once repaired with the updated drum, get yourself a custom tune for your 10r80 and you'll forget about all the problems you had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett