Heres some old pictures of my old Expedition thought id share

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great pics!! I like the one (and you are bold for posting it!!) pic of you stuck in sand. Glad to see you had a pull to get out.

Reminds me of a time in the sand of the NC Outer Banks. 15 years and never got stuck......and then it happened. The great quote from the grizzly park ranger that stopped by was
" There are ONLY two kinds of people who drive in the sand.....those that HAVE BEEN STUCK.....and those WHO ARE GOING TO GET STUCK". Needless to say, I carry more tools now!

OP
OP
G

Actually i was flipping back over this F150 2 wheel drive truck on its 4 tires hence it had flipped to its side, i was aired up to about 40 psi and had some trouble so i did the reverse forward action until i had to air down (too much darn pressure so i kept digging) after i aired down to about 13 lbs i got out safely and down came the F150 (he had a baja suspension) but 2 wheel drive:nono:

OP
OP
G

I noticed that you have bigger than stock tires (17 inch non oem size) did that change your speedo dial or gas mileage? Also you have some Rancho RSX's and Rancho STB (im thinking a stabalizer?) , where did you get them at and do they make a difference, thanks.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding the tires, I really have not noticed much change. I suppose it has decreased the speed by a couple of mph, but since the tire OD is only about 0.5" larger, it is not a drastic change. The big difference is that they are LT's and not P type, so the ride is stiffer as they are not as compliant, but that is what I want. They are also wider, so they handle the sand quite well, and they also are designed to be able to handle quite a lot of air down. Good tires!!!!
The Ranchos made a huge difference!!!! Good shocks are important, and they help prevent the infamous roll that the Exby's have. There are lots of discussions on the web on what are the best shocks to use (Edlebrock, Bilstein, etc.), but the Rancho' seem to be the easiest to get. I purchased mine from http://summitracing.com/.
You are correct about the steering stabilizer. It is hard to tell if I the STB helps since the Exby's steering is soooo light, but its function is to prevent dampen rapid inputs into the steering system from the wheels, i.e. blown tire, ruts, bumps, etc. and since I do not notice them much, I guess it is doing its job. Its an easy install, and cost only about $60 if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
G

I wanted to ask about the ranchos...right now I am down to rancho 9000s or a simpler rancho....or the bilsteins

I want most to improve the roll of the vehicle around corners...i will be taking the truck on easy to moderate 4wd roads in the rockies (over passes, logging roads, deep fly-fishing locales) but this is on occasion

mainly to ride to work and three hours trips up to estes park from colorado springs...

Part of wants the adjustability of the rancho 9000, but i am not sure if i can expect that much difference from level 1 and the highest level...i would love to be able to set for cadilac ride during the week, and then stiffer 4wd ride on the weekend

as far as the regular ranchos, or the bilsteins, i suspect that i won't get the range (or control of the settings) of the 9000s.

i quess that part of me does not truxt the 'auto adjusting' claims of some of the shocks.

Your feedback greatly appreciated.