Hitch mount bike racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
VelociRAX!!!

I also have Yakima Hangover 6 like Fozzy and a makeshift Hangover 4 on another vehicle. They are great options for adult bikes with suspension forks. That being said, VelociRAX is practically the only vertical style rack system that will hold everything from 20" kids bikes to 29" adult bikes regardless of suspension forks and including 3" plus tires without needing additional accessories or changing parts. Comparable models from Alta Racks and North Shore are 3 - 5 hundred dollars more.

You can purchase a 7 place bike rack from VelociRAX which is awesome considering the Expi can haul the people and most vertical racks tap out at 6. A 7x rack for under $900.00 is a steal. All metal and engineered / tested for off road use.

I like my Yakima, but without hesitation I would purchase the VelociRAX 7x tomorrow if I was looking again. This is a Utah company and Utah is Mt Bike Central. You see every style and type of hitch bike rack by the dozens around town and you wouldn't believe the rate at which VelociRAX are becoming the popular choice.
LoLo rack fits every size also. Zero plastic junk all 100% made in US. Only snag are goofy handle bars can pose a challenge.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP has 5 bikes to carry! This was my problem w/minimal options available. The kids have quickly outgrown the smaller bikes that are a little dodgy on it. 6 bikes on any vehicle with 2" receiver and it'll hold up to much abuse. I know! The 1/2" heater hose for handlebar padding is a bit worn when I was dragging my bike along I-70 in MO. Easy to replace that and the bungies are still going strong for me, even after that mishap. I have spares in case needed.

Go Lolo...
Thread 'Lolo Bike Rack' https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/lolo-bike-rack.40643/

you can also grab **** out of the back from the glass without any fuss if you aren't a fat ***.

It held up great last summer from PA to MT and almost back to PA on the back of my camper...until Missouri! The Lolo was definitely not the weak spot and I got a sweet new rim and some other components for my bike (the longest one ). Lots of sparks! Sadly, won't be putting it on the camper again cause the frame is welded/repaired/**** now, but, Lolo is definitely the best option for my family... I used it on a really rutted and rough road on the expy out in MT and the bikes were rock solid the whole time. Low fuss to take them on and off, too. Highly recommended
Same and yeah the exaggerated road undulating factor on trailers tend to shake everything off the back of the trailer typically shredding the back of the ***** trailer dropping whatever is hung back there on the highway.

Keith Jacobs

Reaction score
Loving the VelociRax love here....mine arrives in less than a week, very pumped. Also, they are travel trailer/RV rated. I'm having a beefy hitch fabbed and welded to my trailer so I can take our bikes on camping trips too. Didn't see it mentioned, but the VelociRax also has a camping mode (lays flat to act like a "on ground" bike rack when you are at the site) and comes standard with a garage mount kit so you can mount it on the wall and use it for bike storage/organization at home when you aren't on the road.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, that camping mode is pretty dang awesome! Might not be getting the Alta, if the Velocirax can clear the tire and ladder on the rear of the trailer.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All look like great choices. Has anyone gone with a roof rack system?
I’ve got 2 1Up roof racks arriving this weekend. I am not thrilled to have to use the roof but it’s my best option for when I’m towing my camper.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We’ve been using the Yakima FullSwing and it does well. We like the fact that it will move out of the way while loaded with bikes so we can access the rear hatch. As seen in my post above, I have 2 1up roof racks coming… these will see some duty on my Navigator for the next several weeks and then will be relegated to a different vehicle. I can report back on them but I don’t expect it to be all smiles and rainbows… I’m short and my vehicle is tall.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got 2 1Up roof racks arriving this weekend. I am not thrilled to have to use the roof but it’s my best option for when I’m towing my camper.
I found the bikes on the lid no trailer are just a big of a hit on mileage as a tall trailer no bikes. Together? I haven’t tried it. Could be same or 2x as bad? Curious what you see.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All look like great choices. Has anyone gone with a roof rack system?
I just used my 1UP roof rack on the factory roof bars. Other than the hight it was amazingly simple, I prefer this to the Yakima swing away hitch mount when it comes to the ‘fuss’ category. However, I would only prefer it if there was a step stool or small ladder as I’m hight challenged. 4 bikes would fit on this roof easily but would be a challenge to get adult bikes in the middle but my kids bike would be no problem.
43904E77-BA8E-4178-AC34-E0DFC60F908B.jpeg

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just used my 1UP roof rack on the factory roof bars. Other than the hight it was amazingly simple, I prefer this to the Yakima swing away hitch mount when it comes to the ‘fuss’ category. However, I would only prefer it if there was a step stool or small ladder as I’m hight challenged. 4 bikes would fit on this roof easily but would be a challenge to get adult bikes in the middle but my kids bike would be no problem.
I have a cheap aluminum work platform about 3 feet long that I use to put bikes on the roof. It is light weight and works amazing for this. I don't do roof mount too much now days but it was a life saver when I did. The 1up racks are the best out there in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze