Hitch receivers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is a 2017 plain-jane expy which came without the tow package. It has a class 3 receiver and came with the standard 4-wire connector. I have upgraded to a 7-pin and controller thanks to forscan and Tasca ford (and advice from this site).

My question? I got behind what I think is a 2019. It had a class 1/2 receiver. Did Ford convert to using a smaller receiver on non tow package equipped vehicles? Did they downgrade the towing capacity on vehicles without the tow package?

I uprated mine with the 7-pin to support local short-haul towing of a car and trailer, max 6000 lb, max 50 miles flat country, little stop and go, so well within limits.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't speak for anything other than my 2019 Platinum. It is a 2WD with the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package, 3.73 limited slip rear end, integrated brake control, backup assistant, electrical hookups, able to tow up to 9300 pounds.
Sad thing is I'll probably never use it for more than towing one of my Ford Think Neighbor NEVs.