Hood Deflector Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just picked up our new 2024 Ford Expedition and are driving through Texas. Lots of big, juicy bugs and a few stones here and there. I looked up on the Ford site for hood deflectors. There’s a Ford dealer nearby and thought I’d order and have him install it. But I don’t know know which of the two offered is best:
A) Aeroskin
B) Smoke Hood Deflector made with GE Lexan Polycarbonate

I’m not shopping based on price. I am looking for what fits best, looks best and works best. Thank you for any input on your experience with these options

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a hood deflector on my F150 and I don't think it does anything... hence I never thought of getting one for the Expedition.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I have used Aeroskin products on my 5 current and many previous vehicles of various varieties, and they are ok, but I am sure there may better ones out there, some of which may or may not offer GUARANTEED fit for any particular vehicle...which is one of the good things about their products. However, the last hood deflector I bought for my 011 Expy EL did NOT fit worth a damned and had to be sent back twice (what a PITA that was) before I got one that actually fit the way it was supposed to... ie curved the right amount in the right places, screw holes lining up with the hood's etc....

OTOH, based on my knowledge and use of GE Lexan Polycarbonate products (for other purposes) I can tell you that it will ALWAYS be superior to anything Aeroskin makes, assuming that it is made with the appropriate thickness, design effort, and attention to detail...the end result being a more precise fit, better durability and improved appearance, albeit at a higher price...

If a dealer is the only place you can find one, then so be it, but I would most definitely shop around before making a buying decision, and I sure as hell would NOT not pay them for the installation, since it is like a 10 min job using only a cordless screwdriver/drill and a few clamps to hold it in place while screwing it down....

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the smoke one from Ford and absolutely loved it. It would have matched my Dark matter perfectly but I ended up not being able to use it because I didn’t realize that the 304a package has the badging exactly where that has to go. So I gave it to my sister for hers and she loved it. It was a good product for the price but can’t speak to longevity because she sold it after a year.

VCFP153

Reaction score
I bought the smoke one from Ford and absolutely loved it. It would have matched my Dark matter perfectly but I ended up not being able to use it because I didn’t realize that the 304a package has the badging exactly where that has to go. So I gave it to my sister for hers and she loved it. It was a good product for the price but can’t speak to longevity because she sold it after a year.

I have a smoke one on mine, works and fit great.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
Personally, I went with the AVS Aeroskin as I didn't want room behind it for bugs and such to get stuck, and really only wanted rock chip protection on the hood leading edge. Same thing I had on my F-150 for ~5 years that worked great.

IndyDave

Reaction score
Just picked up our new 2024 Ford Expedition and are driving through Texas. Lots of big, juicy bugs and a few stones here and there. I looked up on the Ford site for hood deflectors. There’s a Ford dealer nearby and thought I’d order and have him install it. But I don’t know know which of the two offered is best:
A) Aeroskin

I’m not shopping based on price. I am looking for what fits best, looks best and works best. Thank you for any input on your experience with these options
I stopped using the deflectors years ago. I use PPF, Paint Protection Film.on my last three Expeditions. Provides protection from rocks and road debris. I have been very pleased.
Just my 2 cents

RacerBX1

Reaction score
Does your trim level have Expedition in raised letters on the hood? If yes, the Aeroskin one won’t work. I had the raised bug deflector on an F150 and have the Aeroskin on my Expedition. What I did not like about the raised one is it uses clips that over time the paint protecting tape falls off and the clips will scratch your hood. For the Aeroskin I think the downside is you can’t clean underneath. If your Expedition is the Dark Matter Gray the Aeroskin one is barely seen and looks good. I think they help with stone and salt (rust belt) chips.

JKH13

Reaction score
A) Aeroskin

My new 24 Max Limited 4x4 with 90mi on it is at the wrap guy to put PPF ( Paint Protection Film } on the complete front end, fenders forward, complete mirrors, front 6" of roof & ant., R & L lower sides below body line, running board treads etc. I had Ford provide in the sale a hood deflector and window rain guards. The hood deflector was the one that is a stone shield not a deflector. The rain guards were the Weathertech type that slides into the frame. I had Weathertech one on my 09 and got rid of them because of wind noise and window regulator fighting to close. Ford gave me the normal hood deflector and I am not using it because of how it mounts. With the PPF I'm hoping the stones and bugs will be under control. I am also having the front & rear bumper grays done in black and the door pillar and sail panel. The liftgate chrome molding will be reflective white, same color as the truck and the chrome in the door handles, I have also removed the three Ford name plates on L/G. The windows have 35 on front doors and 60m on the W/S. The ceramic coating goes on after the wrap guy is done.

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your trim level have Expedition in raised letters on the hood? If yes, the Aeroskin one won’t work. I had the raised bug deflector on an F150 and have the Aeroskin on my Expedition. What I did not like about the raised one is it uses clips that over time the paint protecting tape falls off and the clips will scratch your hood. For the Aeroskin I think the downside is you can’t clean underneath. If your Expedition is the Dark Matter Gray the Aeroskin one is barely seen and looks good. I think they help with stone and salt (rust belt) chips.
Racer - Mine does not have the raised letters on the hood. The color is stone blue - which is really dark (looks black in some light).