Hot console cupholders in 07 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cupholders in the console of my 07 EL 4x4 get pretty hot on long summer trips. Not a good thing for cold drinks. I stuffed some coffee cup lids in the holders for a bit of insulation.

How much of a PITA is it to get the console apart so I can apply some insulation to the underside of the holders?

Should that much heat be coming up through from the exhaust and transmission?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not uncommon for exhaust heat shields to come loose and start to rattle. Unfortunately its also not uncommon for some people to remove them instead of repairing. Are all of yours in place? The normal operating temp of a catalytic converter is 1200° to 1600° F, so those shields do have purpose.

Removal is pretty easy. I believe you'll find one small metric bolt centered under the rubber mat ahead of the shifter. Maybe a 5mm or 7mm? Below the cigarette lighter there is a small panel that is clipped into place, it needs to come out. I believe the chrome ring around the shifter pops up next with a squeeze. The rest is held into place with friction clips, so with a couple plastic pry bars it should pop it right out without damage. Easiest with transmission in Drive or further back.

This isn't a complaint I can relate to, and our Expedition is 90% road trips with drinks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev