Hot days no power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope everyone is well, since it's been a while since I've been around.
So here is my new issue...when days get hot truck losses power from standstill to about 40mph and after 40 things get better again. Weird part is this doesn't happen in the mornings or cooler days. It only happens when it's hot out and driving after about 30 mins or so in stop and go traffic or light to light.

Also when it starts doing this it starts to suck gas like there is no tomorrow and it burns very rich because I can smell the gas/ exhaust.

Recently I replaced the coils, plugs, air filter, even the tps and cleaned the MAF, and the throttle body. Also engine has no codes, no miss. It just can't get out of its on way that's all.

Suggestions wouldbe appreciated. :)

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think there is a TSB about the ignition advancing itself in hot conditions. I'm not sure what the fix is.

Mine can be sluggish too when it's hot. It falls on its face when accelerating.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sensor. Not sure which, but that is exactly what happens when a coolant sensor is on the fritz, so could it be the air intake sensor that is reading wrong?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Mine ended up being a combination of many things. Not only was my original fan clutch bad, but over 100 deg F the engine lost tons of power and it was roaring all the time; I could barely drive up a small hill. My mechanic found a Ford Bulletin on this exact problem.

ISSUE:
TSB 02-12-3: " Drivability, lack of power condition when operating in ambient temperatures above 100 deg F. This may caused by the PCM calibration which retards the ignition timing to prevent detonation when the air inlet temp AIT reaches 140 deg F or above. This may be more pronounced during stop and go driving. "

Fix:
"Verify the condition. Reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration and on 2000 and 2000 F-150's, install body plugs behind Coolant Overflow Bottle if missing "

Engine would fine in the morning and upon cold start up, but here in the desert summer temps hit over 100 deg F daily. I was loosing sooo much power in the afternoon heat that the engine was not producing enough power/torque to overcome the fan clutch, intern making it " roar " constantly. So my mechanic updated my PCM with the latest software, he also found my air filter nose cone separating ( replace with new ) and removed the " GOTTS Mod " putting everything back to stock. So far this is a TOTALY different vehicle, It's never run better. I seem to have all my power back, the transmission even shifts different ( in a good way ). Now the fan cutch does what it is supposed to do, it's loud upon cold start up, when the clutch engages during normal driving conditions ( stop and go traffic ) the engine has enough power/torque to overcome the fan clutch and it gets quiet again. It's been a very frustrating past week, I hope my my post will help others when they encounter this problem.

OP
OP
B

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, just changed the fan clutch and let's see if it makes a difference. Checked the body plugs behind the coolant reservoir and they are plugged. I'll call around and see if anyone has the newer program for the PCM. :)