How About a 2015 to present thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must say, my 16 has no noise with the exception of slight belt swash. Definitely no lifter or valve train noise; even when hot or with the AC on. Also, the tire pressure monitor system only monitors the pressure..Doesn't give you the pressure or what tire is low when the light comes on. Ford went cheap on that aspect. I'll post a pic of the k&n filter later. Only took about 30 minutes or so to install. Well worth it for me.

I'll see if I can get video of it today and post up see if it sounds off to anybody on here

Thanks for the pic. Looks good. I think I'm gonna order one

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at the pictures of the 18, I didn't like the look, looks like an Exploder. :) I didn't like the shifter knob instead of the shifter stick. I do like the upgraded electronics, but I decided to spring for the 2017 Limited EL - I would have taken a King Ranch or Platinum if one had been available. One thing I've found over the years is if you buy the last model year they are usually loaded and when they start with new generation, they don't offer everything right away so you have to wait a couple of years for other options to appear and by then of course, they are significantly more expensive.

I've only had it a little over a day but I love it. I miss the exhaust note of my 5.4 but the 3.5 is so quiet on the inside that I didn't realize it was running while I was playing with all of the new technology (compared to my old 05). It has everything in it that I wanted (301 Option Group). The only thing I really didn't like was the tires so I bought new Firestone Destination ATs with raised outline white letters. Now I have 4 tires to put on Craig's List. They have 49 miles on them. I had the Destination ATs on my 05 and they were very quiet going down the highway.

IMG_5195.JPG IMG_5196.JPG IMG_5197.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody notice a low speed clunk when say not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and getting back on the gas? If I come to a complete stop then go its fine no clunk. It only happens when I'm barely rolling.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody notice a low speed clunk when say not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and getting back on the gas? If I come to a complete stop then go its fine no clunk. It only happens when I'm barely rolling.
I haven't noticed it but I haven't driven mine a lot. I will keep an ear out and if I hear anything I will let you know. How many miles is on yours now?

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

andy, did yours come with hankooks are some other tire brand? ours has hankook.
thanks

my 13 f150, would do this periodically
the expy so far has not done it to the point of standing out.
but a part of the logic in the tranny, brains does disengage the torque converter near the 2 to 1 down shift when speeds are low, as in 5mph, as explained to me a few years back.
its similar to my engine brake on the motorhome, down at 10mph it will disengage and you roll free as it were, if you add throttle it will clunk as the 1200 ft lb of tq brings the bus back in motion
at a rolling stop..which is illegal :banana-mario:, i think the vehicle is doing the free wheel action, then if you mash the gas it has to re-engage and maybe this is the clunk as it is deciding which gear to to select.
i have noticed my tranny will not go through every gear all the time. i have seen 1 to 3 upshifts and 3 to 5 a few times, if i am accelerating on a downward slope.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Andy
i like my hankooks, funny, as all my rides are riding on them. The motorhome has hankooks.

the ones on the expy seem so be wearing really well.
the bridgestones on the 13 f150 were really worn bad at 29999 miles, when i traded it .

i was worried the expy would come with the scorpions, i had them on the 2010 f150 and they wore out FAST. i had seen a few expys with the scorpions and bridgestones. was surprised to find the hankooks on the vehicle we bought

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the Hankooks were noisy compared to the Firestone Destination ATs. I obviously didn't take any sound readings but subjectively they seem much quieter at highway speeds.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i couldn't say anything about noise, deaf as a stump in one ear.
when i wear my hearing aid all i hear is some wind noise by the mirror sometimes and a faint rumble towards rear

some of our roads have chipped rocks covered in asphalt...now that makes some NOISE.

been thinking about some dynamat in the floor, and maybe doors
but its not on top of the list right now.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We drive back and forth from Fort Wayne Indiana and Harrisburg PA a couple of times a year. That about 8 hours one way. I had some very aggressive Cooper tires on my 05 that gave us headaches from the tire noise so I looked for the least aggressive AT tires I could find and went with the Destination ATs. I had just put them on the old truck and only had about 5000 miles on them, but they were 60 series not 55 series so I didn't want to switch them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt