how do it determine what transmission is in my 05

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svtl919

Reaction score
2005 ford expedition
tag reads 5L1P 7000 FA FDZ0
PKF-DZ0

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
door code is the easiest. just google the trans code

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, heres what you do. Its a little tricky, but it will tell you what trans you have with 100% accuracy. Now, go out to your truck and make sure its facing north. Then, take a quarter. Flip it in the air with your left hand. Only use your left hand. While its in the air toss some dust in the air toward the quarter. I know, you gotta be fast. Now, if the quarter lands on tails and the dust blows to the east you have a 4r75w. If the quarter lands on heads and the dust blows north then you have a 4r100. Buuut, if the quarter lands on heads and the dust blows West then you have a 4r70w. One last option...if the quarter lands on tails and the dust blows south, you guessed it, you have a CHEVY! Crazy right! If you try any of this you have to be crazy! Just read the door code. U is a 4r70w, E is a 4r100 and I cant remember what the 4r70w is. Enjoy!

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the 2005 Expy came with only one transmission, the 4R75E. The '03 and '04 with the "old" dashboard and the 2V 4.6/5.4 engine had the 4R70W transmission (not sure if the 4R100 was an option on the second gens). One of the upgrades for the 2nd gen "phase 2" was the updated 4R75E with only one engine option, the updated 5.4 3V engine.

Wikipedia said:
The base 4.6 liter Triton V8 engine was dropped for the 2005 model year as the 5.4-liter Triton V8 was made standard on all Expeditions and updated with 24-valve technology and variable valve timing. Along with the 2005 model V8 engine update, the Expedition also received a significantly updated version of the four-speed 4R70W automatic transmission.

The new four-speed automatic transmission, now called 4R75E, featured fully electronic Smart Shift technology. A turbine speed sensor improved transmission control and provided the basis for the fully electronic shift scheduling. The transmission's microprocessor speeds were improved for better responsiveness and precision of the control system. The transmission was continuously learning, and would calculate the torque in the next gear and schedule shift points based on the Expedition's projected performance in the next gear. For 2005 model Expeditions the 4R75E transmission is designated by the letter "B" on the manufacturers safety compliance certification label, located in the driver's-side doorjamb. For 2006 model Expeditions, the 4R75E transmission is designated by the letter "Q".