? how does the 4.6 hold up ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shocker1

Reaction score
hi guys im new here and this may have been answerd already somewhere in the threds prior to my joining.
1. my question is how well does the 4.6 do?

this will be only my second FORD, my first one was in 2000 i had an f150 5.4
4X4 that i used for work and ran up and down CA. racking 237,000 miles before selling it ran GREAT!.
i will be getting into an 04 expy and questioning its ability it to will be a 4X4 but 4.6, i was told it will tow 6,000 lb's. i will prob if ever do maybe 4,000 lb's.

2. is the truck to heavy for that size engine?

3. putting a lift soon after 3to4 inches if possible with 33's or 34's if they make something like that , again i know that adding size one should have the power to run it.

i will not be rock crawling, i have a jeep to do that with. more what you would call a rock limo ( Commander ) but would more likely do some mild offroading, campnig, and towing quads to dunes and such .

sorry for beeing so long winded but i have so much i want to understand about the addition to the family.:confused:

THANK YOU !!!

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most people that have the 4.6L wish they had gone with the 5.4L. I have the 5.4L and even that is barely enough power for this heavy truck. If you plan on towing or lifting the truck then definitely go with the 5.4L or else experience some serious slowness. The 4.6L may get slightly better mileage under normal conditions, but once you tow or lift the truck the 5.4 is going to have equal or better mileage with more power.

chrmar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm hoping that the 4.6L will be adequate for what I need... but then again, for $500, I'm not going to complain too loudly. It's a 4WD, but all I plan to use the truck for is commuting, driving to job sites, hauling some gear (heaviest thing I'll haul is concrete cylinders...) and all I plan to tow is a 10' ultralight tent trailer. Which I previously towed with a 3.8L Windstar, so I don't think I'll have any issues. :)

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im running the 4.6 and doing fine on and off road, pushing around on this lift kit and 32 inch supers, it lacks a little towing the camper on the big hills, but gets the job done,

OP
OP
S

shocker1

Reaction score
Thanks guys! i'm afraid the 4.6 is my only option i was just hopeing for a good out come ....maybe with some better breathing in and out it will do ok. all i need is for it in the near future to be able to handle a trailor with maybe
4 to 5 quads that's it ...my commander can tow a nice popup ....if that works i'm good...:eek:

thanks again!!!!

Three20seven

Reaction score
I have a 98 XLT with the 4.6 and I have not had issues with power. The transmission went out 2 years ago and the replacement must have been a rebuild because it is starting to slip and shudder. I am not going to lift it because as it is I pick up my kids to put them in the booster seats. Don't want to pick up a wild kickin 3-4 year old any higher than I need to :)

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my old 97 F150 (black one pictured) had 38x15.50 swamper TSL radials with the 4.6.... soon as I put in 4.88 gears the truck rocked plenty of power... just relize if you wanna lift it or do anything there are mods to do to a 4.6....

and I put in my 2yr into the "bus" on 37s....