How does the Expedition fair against rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
Being a prior 94 & 87 Bronco owner - I'm sure some of you are also aware of the dreaded "Ford rust" issues on all 87-96 F-Series/Broncos (rear 1/4's, tailgates, body mounts, cab drip rails, rear spring shackle mounts, lower rad support, front spring perches, B-pillar and cab/floor pans ) - just to name a few of the affected areas... LOL

I'm looking at getting into an Expedition (97-02) and was wondering if these trucks are susceptible to such rust issues, or did Ford remedy those concerns after 1996 w/ their truck/SUV product line?

If rusting is still prevalent on the Expedition lineup, any info or specific areas to check when looking to buy would be very helpful! Thanks!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If I were to use only mine to judge I would say they rate poorly.

Radiator support, inside bottom of doors, undercarriage of body itself, lower control arms are all areas where I have issues. Mine did appear to have zero rust proofing or any sort of undercoating. The frame itself is in good condition with minor surface rust. I have been fighting it for the past few years but its a losing battle. More or less just slowing the progress.

I doubt there are many 4wd expys without rust issues in the "rust belt" unless they keep them off the road while they are salted.

If you are looking to purchase carefully examine the undercarriage.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just like any other vehicle...depends on the exposure to the contaminants and period of exposure...depends on if extra sealant was used or not...a truck from Michigan will be different than a truck from florida...vegas...LA...I think for the most part they did although there is a paint bubbling prob on the tailgate for some vehicles...but that could be contained to a certain plant location...not sure

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a '97 and the motor/trans outlasted the body @ 225K. I'm in upstate NY so that didn't help. You have to look at rockers and center door pillar. Driver floor up behind peddles had to be patched on mine.
I've got a 2005 now, with the radiator support and bubbling tailgate issue.
What's more important than all this: I went to change the oil today after getting the car washed. Going under the truck to open the drain, I saw that the front driver's side tire, suspension and frame were all wet with oil. The culpret was transmission oil cooler line running out of the radiator. It was rusted at the elbow with pinhole leaks. Checked the trans and it was real low, with an oil patch on the driveway that would have been noticed right away any other time of the year w/o all the ice and snow. Christ! I almost lost my trans because of this and won't know right away of any long term problems from running the fluid low.
Same with rusted out brake lines that caused brake failure on my '97. It doesn't matter where you live with that one. Cheap lines will rust from the inside if you don't replace brake fluid occasionally because dot 3 or 4 is notorious for retaining moisture.
Luckily found out while backing out the driveway. Replaced it myself because I have a hydraulic brake flare tool and probably saved $1500 bucks.
Point is, these rusted out parts will kill you, either physically or financially. I just don't understand the cost savings that these car companies justify by using cheap material that can disintegrate like that. I was able to replace the brake line with stainless, but it might have been too late for some unlucky bastard. It's hard for you or an inspector to see some of this stuff, obscured by fuel tanks and such.
If they used materials like stainless steel for these components to begin with, and just charged more, there would be less worries.

Last edited:

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is holding up well for being in Ohio it's while life but I did just notice as I was getting in it the other day my drivers side rocker has some rot. And my tailgate has been repainted but that was due to the corrosion issue. Not to bad for an 05 I suppose.

Sent from my $amsung $III using Tapatalk

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a '99 used primarily in SE VA with lots of time on the sand on the OBX. Early on in the 60K range '04/'05(?), I had the bubbling on the lip of the hood that I treated and covered with a bug guard. Other than that, it wasn't until the late 140K - 150K miles that I noticed rust beginning to form on the lower part of the doors. That was around '10. I'd look under the frame periodically and don't recall seeing anything of concern.

Not sure if it matters, but after each trip to the beach, I'd do my best to power wash the undercarriage. I understand how that may not be possible when living in an area that gets more snow and roads treated with salt. But, living on the coast, we do have salt in the air that could have penetrated and caused issues but didn't seem to do too much.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, forgot to mention that I had my '97 on the outer beach alot for the first five years that I owned it, living back on Long Island. It rarely came in contact with the salt water. I used to wash the undercarriage when I got home. The beach use probably helped to disintegrate the stamped rear control arms, but not enough to cause a hazzard by the time I got rid of it.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the rear trailing arms, if that's the name for the part, rust easily. my 97 exp xlt has paint chipped off of them at the axle and is beginning to rust. gonna have to find a way to clean that off and re seal it. they are still structurally sound though. gonna miss that about the south when I move this next month

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My suspension has some rust but i have 0 body panel rust. I do have some bubbled paint on the leading edge of the aluminum hood but other then that as long as you keep her clean, she will be fine. My expedition is my only vehicle and is used every day all year long and has seen plenty of salt. I did have rust on the bottom of the doors but i ground that off adn put underbody coating.