How far should my power liftgate rise on my 15 Platinum?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TuxedoBlack

Reaction score
How far should my power liftgate rise on my 15 Platinum? it stops at a point where I can push it up another 8-10 inches.

15 Platinum Tuxedo Black

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How far should my power liftgate rise on my 15 Platinum? it stops at a point where I can push it up another 8-10 inches.

15 Platinum Tuxedo Black

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new.

My rear hatch began not opening fully - and in cold weather, would begin to drop slowly.

I replaced the hatch struts with OEM Motorcraft ones (left and right side have different part numbers).

The new struts returned the hatch to full opening position. They are VERY easy to change, but have an adult helper.

The power lift gate is designed to be given an initial “lift” with the power ram, then the gas struts push the hatch fully open. If the struts are weak, it can cause damage to the power ram ($$$$).

The dealer replaced the rear window gas struts under warranty, and I later had to replace the two front hood lift struts also.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2007 has new struts now but they were lifting the gate to about 5'8" and now it goes to 6'6". The problem now is it bounces back when it gets to 8" before closing. Anybody know how to fix that?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2007 Eddie Bauer goes all the way up until the door is pretty flat. You can’t push it any higher.

OP
OP
T

TuxedoBlack

Reaction score
Thank you all. Mine still has a few weeks of CPO premium care on it. Going to have them replace the steuts and look at my squealing drivers side window actuator

15 Platinum Tuxedo Black

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you all. Mine still has a few weeks of CPO premium care on it. Going to have them replace the steuts and look at my squealing drivers side window actuator

15 Platinum Tuxedo Black
It is on the way out. Many U-tube videos on it and lots on Ebay cheap...…….just did mine.