How to do Door Switch LED Swap with pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I gave up on the steering wheel to make some more progress. I completed all of my front door switches. Since I don't like the glow from the outside of the switches, I couldn't think of anything for now, so I did a few layers of electrical tape around the buttons and trimmed them down so you can't see it. You will have to put the switch in and trim and play with it a little to get it the switch to move and look right, but is cheap and easy.
IMG_2203.jpg
I'm not sure if it will work permanently or just for a little while, but it did the job and they look great now! It went from this
IMG_2157.jpg
To this
Dim switch all the way up
IMG_2208.jpg
Dim switch all the way down
IMG_2211.jpg
Passenger side door
IMG_2197.jpg

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are some better pictures of the red lights. They are a darker red in person, and can be bought at radioshack

IMG_2200-1.jpg
IMG_2201.jpg
IMG_2202.jpg

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's really cool, I'll probably try to do that sometime in the future.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah...on second thought...im not going to attempt that...looks like he ran into some trouble and i dont want to screw anything up...

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually got a comment on it from a buddy tonight who thought they look great compared to his truck with the stock green. Its an easy project to do. Its only about $25 for the bulbs online and then a $5 solder gun with some solder. Don't be scared to try it, this was the first time I soldered, and didn't even have to look at any instructions on how to. If you mess up, just reheat it, and make it how you want. Pretty easy!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually got a comment on it from a buddy tonight who thought they look great compared to his truck with the stock green. Its an easy project to do. Its only about $25 for the bulbs online and then a $5 solder gun with some solder. Don't be scared to try it, this was the first time I soldered, and didn't even have to look at any instructions on how to. If you mess up, just reheat it, and make it how you want. Pretty easy!

i recommend flux. it cleans the parts your gonna solder. just dont breathe it in when its burning. haha not good for you. i like soldering. its a cousin of welding.

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool thread. anyone else done this? This might be my first DIY project cause it seems like I can't screw anything up too badly!!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not that inclined so im declining to attempt alone...i want it though!!!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ross, if you want some help, let me know. Come on up to my place and we'll get you taken care of. I have all the tools to do that and the knowledge on how to wire up LEDs. I'm about a 2-2.5 hour drive north of you over near California, MD.