How to improve hp and torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 4.6l is already over taxed in the EXPY. The modular V8 makes its best power near the redline and has a flat torque curve. In your case, that is like making a 70 year old man, run a marathon, with 100 pounds on his back. However, it is a truck and should be up to job, if you don't push it. I installed a K&N 0945 air filter in the stock box. I used a Dremel and cut 2-4" square openings in the box(dirty air side). I covered the holes with screen, glued to the box. You can definitely hear the difference. The power and MPG, maybe a very little gain. A co-worker had a fire chief, 2001 Expedition, with the cop tune. He said it felt, like it had extra "get up and go". A tuner will cost over $300. Probably not worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dustin Miller

Reaction score
The 4.6l is already over taxed in the EXPY. The modular V8 makes its best power near the redline and has a flat torque curve. In your case, that is like making a 70 year old man, run a marathon, with 100 pounds on his back. However, it is a truck and should be up to job, if you don't push it. I installed a K&N 0945 air filter in the stock box. I used a Dremel and cut 2-4" square openings in the box(dirty air side). I covered the holes with screen, glued to the box. You can definitely hear the difference. The power and MPG, maybe a very little gain. A co-worker had a fire chief, 2001 Expedition, with the cop tune. He said it felt, like it had extra "get up and go". A tuner will cost over $300. Probably not worth it.

OP
OP
D

Dustin Miller

Reaction score
I dont drive it hard or very often. Its mainly just for pulling my boat. It might see 3-5k miles a year. Just want a little help pulling up hills mostly.

Alansd

Reaction score
I've been towing with a 5.4 for a few years. About 4500 lb trailer. Just a few suggestions, to with Overdrive off. Add a trans cooler if you dont have one already. Be sure to do a complete trans fluid change at some point soon. Just get in the right lane on the hills....:D
I didn't buy the 4.6 as I heard it was not a tow beast. The 5.4 is very capable.
But I miss my v10 Excursion...LOL

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on torque, slow, almost hypermiling acceleration.

I added the maghytec trans pan garnering an extra 8 qts of trans fluid to keep it cooler. Also put an inline B&M trans filter in too. Changed fluid and filter every 25K when towing over extended periods of time.

good luck, welcome again, and let us know what you do.
U have a link to the pan u used ?
I'm in the same boat as the OP but mine isn't from towing but from running 35's..
Everything is a crawl and gas chugger

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm of the opposite when it comes to Intakes. They do work plain and simple. Science and many of dynos have proven they work. If they didn't k&n wouldn't be a billion dollar company. the science is simple and you can't argue with it. The more air you take in and send out the more power you can make. If you got $300 to spend then an intake is a worthy mod. Back that with a nice Borla or magnaflow catback and you'll pick up a little power. The problem though is the 4.6. It's a dog that's all there is to it. As was said earlier it's already under powered and doesn't do that great of a job just moving its own weight around. Pulling 5k lbs is gonna be a struggle. I had a 2000 model and pulled a little 6x12 utility trailer (900lbs) with my sxs on it (1500lbs) and I had to stand on the throttle just to hold it at 70mph to keep up with traffic. The 5.4 would have been better.