How to replace Torsion Keys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the problem with walk throughs are the do every thing on a clean truck, if you truck is older its never easy, and if you are in snow country where they use alot of salt and sand it even rougher, i live in upstete ny, watch me post. I try to do walk throughs on all my projects, or most of them any way

OP
OP
AaronLG

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the problem with walk throughs are the do every thing on a clean truck, if you truck is older its never easy, and if you are in snow country where they use alot of salt and sand it even rougher, i live in upstete ny, watch me post. I try to do walk throughs on all my projects, or most of them any way

Nice walkthru but what about when you have 200000 miles and the bars don't move at all. I had to put it all back together and give up for the night. Don't know how I'm going to do it.

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you need to have a good torch, relax the adjuster bolts till you can remove the bolts and the stops, your tortion bar will move freely in the rear, slide to the frontnow carefully heat the torsion bar, do this slowly as to not melt it down, now take a big hammer and tap on the bar, you may also want to put a pipe wrench on torsion bar as your heating and tapping on it try to twist it just enough to allow the rust to free up between the torsion bar, and the hole, once the torsion bar is out take a rasp and clean out the insert hole that the tbs slide into, i also recomend using some naval clean, if you have access to it, you can buy it at most boat stores or marinas, this is used to nuetralize the rust, and works great, once its cleaned up real well i suggest putting a (little) grease in the hole to allow the new bars to slide in a little easier, if you are useing the old bars, sand them down, hit with grinder if needed, check them real well for stress fractures, especially if these keys have been adjusted to lift the front of the truck, be very sure to inspect them well, a broken torsion bar can make for a very bad day, especially if it lets go at hiway speed, once they are cleaned up, you can now get them reassembaled, use lithium grease to assist in assembaly,
and remember to be sure to have all the weight off the front of the truck, and up on jackstand,

Last edited: