How to reset service engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently had a hose clamp break on the throttle body and the intake fell off while driving, obviously it threw a code. I fixed it immediately, and have driven it 100 miles or so, will it go away or do I need to clear or reset it and how, thanks. I know it’s a MAF sensor code, never had any codes until intake fell off, thanks again.

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
Go to any parts store such as Autozone and they have code readers that will also clear the codes. Some are not allowed to clear codes and they will set it up for you but you have to press the button to clear the codes. This service is free.
Better yet, get a code reader, the simple ones are not that expensive, and you can read and clear the codes yourself.
You can also get and OBDC adapter and get software for your laptop, Forscan is great but not necessarily easy to use. You can also get an adapter with bluetooth and get an application for your cell phone.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It will also clear up on its own after a certain number of drive cycles. The number and "drive cycle" specifics for it to automatically clear differ for each code.

Some clear up almost immediately while others need certain driving parameters repeated a fixed number of times under specific conditions.

Or, as ExplorerTom says above, pull the battery cable for awhile.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
Trainmaster and ExplorerTom have it right. Disconnect negative battery cable and leave door(s) open, turn headlights on, leave hatch open, leave hood up, turn ignition to accessory or on, etc. - anything to drain residual power after disconnection. Then reconnect battery and restart, and "Voila!" The code(s) will be gone - until the next errant condition is encountered, that is.