how to take just the ignition tumbler cylinder out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cariboo

Reaction score
yes i have the key, and no it doesn't the 'little hole' that about 8 youtube videos use... the keys getting stick - it's not the ignition switch, i last a little WD in the hole and it's fine, but i want to take the cylinder out and clean and lube it thoroughly. surely i don't have to take the steering wheel off? took the two screws out on the bottom shroud and it's loose but don't want to force it out, the top half of the shroud appears to have a collar that slips under the top cover that holds the air bag on and frankly i don't want to mess with that airbag - is there a secret screw somewhere? alternatively if the tumbler part is the same as on other models, can i just drill this 'little hole' that everyone is talking about? is the pin that holds the tumbler in, in the same place? it's an 03 expy by the way. and i do have the mtce manuals for this vehicle - there is absolutely no reference to ignition cylinder, only how to change the ignition switch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cariboo

Reaction score
followup - couldn't find anything anywhere on the internet.. so here's how to do it. take the drivers footwell cover off - it will make it easier to get the bottom part of the steering column cover off... there are two phillips screws under the steering wheel... it takes a bit of jiggling and twisting but the bottom cover separates from the top half, and comes off fairly easily... slide the rubber boot that covers the ignition up and out of the way. you'll see a black plastic module that covers the key cylinder, has a green connector.. undo the connector and use a 5.5mm ratchet with an extender to get the on screw that holds it on... that part comes off easily. NOW you have access to the pin that holds the cylinder in place. key in, one setting forward, and you'll see directly under the cylinder, the hole that will give access to the pin - use a small screwdriver or something to push the pin in... the cylinder comes out fairly easily...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm sure we'll have a post here in a few months with someone asking same question.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cariboo

Reaction score
seems there already a few over the last few years, but no answers. hope it helps someone. key cylinder should be on the list of regular maintenance items - pop it out and clean it so you don't get stuck at a gas station after dark, an hour from home in the cold with two dogs in the vehicle. and have to play the damsel in distress card and ask some random guy to help you - for instance...

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you clean and lube it with? Graphite like most locks?

OP
OP
C

cariboo

Reaction score
i used carb cleaner to clean it (lots of schmoo came out - black with lots of metal particles - like panning for gold you swirl the liquid and all the heavy stuff settled) - WD for lube, but only because i had it... but i did order some graphite from amazon for next time... now that i know it's relatively easy to take it out, going to add it to the list of things to do when i change the oil... might order a new cylinder but want to see if it has pins that can be changed to match my existing keys.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Cariboo. Twice this year mine wouldn't start (despite going from off to start several times) until i removed the key and put it back in and tried again. I might do this over the weekend.

OP
OP
C

cariboo

Reaction score
it must be one of those things that happens so often they decided on later models to add the 'magic hole' under the steering wheel. just to be overly cautious, i unhooked the negative battery terminal - when your face is that close to the airbag, i didn't want to take ANY chances of that sucker deciding it was time to jettison.

OP
OP
C

cariboo

Reaction score
if it still is acting up, it might be the starter switch, the electronic stuff the key engages with.. and THAT has to have the steering wheel off to change... there is a video on youtube of that very thing though - i think he swapped out both the multi-function (wipers etc) and the ignition switch in the video. the fellow that did it very responsive to you also if you want to ask him questions.