How to unfold 3rd row

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2019 Expedition with power fold 3rd row. I feel like I am missing something, but is there really no way to manually unfold the 3rd row? It seems very backwards to have to open the hatch to unfold that row when someone wants to get in, but I can't find any other buttons.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No you can only unfold from the rear. I believe only the new gms can operate the seats from the front. But in fords defense, imthey are the only ones that offer 1 touch for the seat so you dnt have to wait for them to be lowered before closing the hatch.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Ok, thank you for the confirmation. It seems odd to me, but at least I know I'm not just missing something.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess in the developers minds, there's more of a chance you'd be back there anyway to raise or lower it than you needing to operate it without being back there.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
I find myself trying to have someone get in the 3rd row, realizing they are folded, then having to get out and open the hatch to unfold. I normally have them folded for cargo so it is just a little inconvenient to not be able to fold them up from, say getting in the back seat where the button to release the 2nd row for folding is.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the 2003 expedition during initial launch had the buttons on the driver side quarter panel behind the sec row. They made changes to late model 03s and they deleted the buttons from that location. Of course I can't find any pics of that panel to verify.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find myself trying to have someone get in the 3rd row, realizing they are folded, then having to get out and open the hatch to unfold. I normally have them folded for cargo so it is just a little inconvenient to not be able to fold them up from, say getting in the back seat where the button to release the 2nd row for folding is.
Look, there's a hatch button at the driver's seat. If someone needs to ride in the 3rd row, it means there are more than enough children about for one of them to get out, walk around to the back, press the 3rd row buttons and then get back in while you sit comfortably in the front seat and make any final adjustments to the seat climate controls, scroll through your phone to find the music you want to listen to, etc, etc.

engineer1

Reaction score
dlcorbett was correct about early '03 buttons on the driver side rear quarter panel. My "03 EB has them, and they work well.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
dlcorbett was correct about early '03 buttons on the driver side rear quarter panel. My "03 EB has them, and they work well.
I'm seriously considering checking the switch to see how hard it would be to wire in an additional switch to at least one side near the back door.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wifes Grand Cherokee L has these buttons in front of the 3rd row seats and I wondered why they where there, NOW I know. lol.