Hummig sound while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is for 03 exp. 4.6
The truck hums when I drive and gets louder when I speed up. I just noticed when I'm turning right on a freeway ramp it suddenly stops. Bit once I straightened the wheels it comes back. Could be a wheel hub. Thank you in Advanced

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires or wheel hub. My experience is that if it's the tires they get quieter in turns sometimes, but not silent. Hubs, however, get louder when turning one way and much quieter or almost silent the other.

Rotating the tires might help identify if it's the tires as they noise would move to the back.

If it's the hub it's likely the right front hub, but of course plan to replace both as the other will fail before long. I recently tried a few hubs for the rear of my '04 and ended up with Motorcraft hubs.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
Nope just right. And it sounds like it's coming from the left front

keg914

Reaction score
I've changed all 4 of my hubs out over the years. Each time they were making noise as you described. I changed out both the fronts and the rears whenever one of them was going out. I replaced them all with parts from Detroit Axle and haven't had a problem since. They sell through their website or Amazon. All of them were pretty easy to swap out.

It just happens. These trucks are just so heavy for the suspension components.