HVAC fan dies at full speed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on if you have automatic control or manual control and on manual control systems it is a resistor

OP
OP
S

scurvydog

Reaction score
I can say from my experience it is very likely some think like the resistor as it operates 100% reliable to 90% fan speed. Once I over ride the automatic temp control to 100% it cuts within 1 second. Restart the vehicle fan works immediately. So not a mechanical I would say. I just did not know which widget to replace. I will let know how it turns out after I replace the control module.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can say from my experience it is very likely some think like the resistor as it operates 100% reliable to 90% fan speed. Once I over ride the automatic temp control to 100% it cuts within 1 second. Restart the vehicle fan works immediately. So not a mechanical I would say. I just did not know which widget to replace. I will let know how it turns out after I replace the control module.

Hope that fixes your problem. I figured you had dual zone auto but most call the fan control module a 'resistor' so I used that term to describe the part and keep it simple. In the third gen on manual units it's resistor and in auto ones it's a module.... easier just to call it the resistor because people know where your going then although I did create some confusion here as some took 'resistor' as the literal part, I could have clarified more. Anyway hope that fixed you up appreciate it if you report back.

Plati

Reaction score
I do get confused easily, but I am trying to help AND learn at the same time. I have an older unit (the 2003 XLT) and a newer one (2014 EL) so I need to know about old technology as well as the more modern electronic controlled ones. Apologize for any confusion I might cause or anything just plain wrong. I don't know anywhere near as much as some on here, more than others.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do get confused easily, but I am trying to help AND learn at the same time. I have an older unit (the 2003 XLT) and a newer one (2014 EL) so I need to know about old technology as well as the more modern electronic controlled ones. Apologize for any confusion I might cause or anything just plain wrong. I don't know anywhere near as much as some on here, more than others.

Polarizer it's good to contribute to threads whether right or wrong, and you weren't wrong. We were just on separate pages on the part being described I used loose terminology.. I post misinformation as does everyone it's how we learn. When I post a thread asking for help I like to hear as many viewpoints as possible, any contribution can have the key to a solution!

Plati

Reaction score
Its all good. Now the OP does some work and posts results = payday!

mbed

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2008 Expedition and the issue I have is with the fan for the heat/ac. When the fan speed control is changed to max the fan will cut out after a few seconds. Keep the speed one notch below max and everything works fine. A restart of the vehicle will get the fan motor working again. Also, if after the fan stops spinning at max speed I lower the speed after a indeterminate time it will start back up at the lower speed.

Clearly this is not a fuse issue. And I would not guess the high voltage relay as those are usually an on/off control. Anyone else experience something like this?

Cheers

There is a TSB for this. Also two components, originally was only required to splice in a pigtail to the wiring harness to the plug on the blower motor resistor. Before becoming aware of it, I replaced the OEM one with a borg warner one via pep boys and it worked better at of the lower speeds but cycled if setting the fan speed too high (this is for an 08 Limited EL with EATC). I started to do the pigtail in homemade kinda way cutting the ground wire from the plug to the riesistor (which is behind the glovebox mounted into the blower console) and attaching it via a 12ga wire to the ground lug. No change...saw a reference to a newer version of the resistor that alleged no wire cutting was required [9L3z19e624b Blower Speed Motor Control Module/Resistor Oem Ford, With ATC] still using the partial wire harness repair and it worked perfectly. Guessing the updated one will work without the splice. HTH!