2013 Rear HVAC Blend Door Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New to me 2013 XLT. When test driving the car we noticed a soft banging sound from right rear panel where the rear HVAC system is located. After pointing this out to salesman a tech came out and fiddled and said that the roof mounted vents were closed. Well my wife confessed to closing them, but that was after noticing the noise. So being unable to duplicate problem, we went on and closed the deal, the stipulation that they "would work with us" if the problem reoccurred in 30 days. Well that time is near and as luck, or none, would have it, today the sound returned when using the heat. It sounds like there is some sort of feedback between climate control and the blend door and that the system is uncertain about stopping the motor. I am guessing about this since I have a 2001 and very few brains or CPU's. Stuff works or it doesn't.

So what is going on here and what will it take to fix it? If it is simple and requires a part, I will take it on. If it is calibration, the dealer needs to fix it.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
If there is a knocking when you try to change the temperature, It is most likely the temperature actuator that is going bad. It's simple to fix: Replace the actuator.
If the actuator gets replaced, just pull the rear HVAC fuse to calibrate the actuator. Pull the fuse with the car off, re-plug in the fuse and turn the car to the ON position, and wait at least 30 seconds. Then turn key to OFF Position, then the actuator is ready to use. The fuse # to pull should be in the manual.

- Joseph

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Common problem with all front and rear blend door actuators on 2010 through 2017 Expeditions. On My 2011, Last year I had 1 front and 1 rear actuator fail within 30 days of each other. The front failure was the 2nd failure in 3 years, so I had all 5 changed this time around.

If you had an agreement / warranty with the dealer you bought from, compel them to do the work.

YMRacing

Reaction score
My 2017 started the rear blend door knock a couple of weeks ago. I thought about replacing it myself, but..what's an extended warranty for? Scheduled for next Thursday.