I greased the caliper bolts ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jexpy97

Reaction score
I greased the caliper bolts that go into the guide pins to attach it to the caliper.

I used syl-glide.

Is that wrong? When I pulled out the bolts there was what looked like grease on them so I just assumed regrease them. I figured since there was metal on metal it would need grease to to function properly.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've greased them on other vehicles. Actually had enough rust on the 05 Silverado fronts that the brakes were no longer sliding to compensate for wear on the pads. After that I started greasing them. Nothing else goes into the salted roads in the mountains during winter so none of them have had the rust issues.

Plati

Reaction score
I greased the caliper bolts that go into the guide pins to attach it to the caliper.

I used syl-glide.

Is that wrong? When I pulled out the bolts there was what looked like grease on them so I just assumed regrease them. I figured since there was metal on metal it would need grease to to function properly.
Definately definately (rain man quote).
Is that stuff high temp?
I always buy the special little packets for brake grease.

wait .... BOLTS? grease those?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jexpy97

Reaction score
I've greased them on other vehicles. Actually had enough rust on the 05 Silverado fronts that the brakes were no longer sliding to compensate for wear on the pads. After that I started greasing them. Nothing else goes into the salted roads in the mountains during winter so none of them have had the rust issues.

I'm just worried they might come out of the caliper.

I only greased the smooth part of the bolt not the threaded end that screws into the caliper.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I misunderstood. I thought you meant the pins the disk brakes slide on as the piston in the caliper pushes them.

But, I have greased bolt threads, too. After you break a few nuts/bolts off from 4 or 5 WV winters, you do what you can to make sure you can get that thing apart 3 or 4 years from now. Never had one come loose after greasing, as long as it was torqued down at installation.