I thought I'd share my mechanical experiences on our new to me 1999 Expedition...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Wal92tt

Wal92tt

Reaction score
The fog lights are night and day. The headlights are yellowed and need to be cleaned but the fog lights are now a bright intense white light. I think I'll be buying a set for the headlights as well.... These bulbs were cheap and hopefully they'll last long.... the fogs have a 12 month hassle free return.

20181008_100914.jpg

20181008_113242.jpg

20181008_113253.jpg

20181008_114058.jpg

20181008_115537.jpg

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
When you changed the running board lights, did you destroy the nylon screws on the access panels? If so, what did you replace them with? (I've got to get mine changed but quit when I couldn't get those screws out.)

Nice color on yours, BTW!;)

OP
OP
Wal92tt

Wal92tt

Reaction score
I have the factory cd changer if you want one I bought a 2000 Expedition with a new touch screen headunit in it, the factory changer won’t work with it, also the rear sheet should have a u snapped bar that folds down from the seat frame and inserts in a latch built into the floor
The rear bar was not used until 2000+ I think. I have family in/near Columbus, Ga if you're near there? How much for the chgr? I might just end up getting a cheap Chinese all-in-one touch screen for under $200. I miss the rear camera our MDX has. It's a must in this behemoth!

OP
OP
Wal92tt

Wal92tt

Reaction score
When you changed the running board lights, did you destroy the nylon screws on the access panels? If so, what did you replace them with? (I've got to get mine changed but quit when I couldn't get those screws out.)

Nice color on yours, BTW!;)
They all came out fine except one, I had to pry it out. I was able to reuse them all. I do need to buy a bunch of retaining clips for areas all around, including the engine bay and underneath. These should work fine if you destroy yours.
Here's a great set which includes the pry bar which helps not to destroy them when removing. I'll buy this one since most of these clips will work for most cars, either for cars we have now and in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Plasti...4&sr=1-5-catcorr&keywords=ford+retainer+clips

OP
OP
Wal92tt

Wal92tt

Reaction score
I don't think I mentioned it but the old bushings and links only had about 30K on them! It's what you get for cheaping out and getting rubber bushings. I've used poly bushings on all our vehicles and we've never had noise issues like others complain about.

OP
OP
Wal92tt

Wal92tt

Reaction score
There is a recall on the cruise control, for fires from leaking brake fluid. It is near brake master cylinder. Many were simply disconnected by dealers, mine was. Ford engineered a replacement, plug/wire. Rusted radiator core support and catalytic converters are the kiss of death for 1st gens. The rear, lower trailing arms rot out and should been recalled. The rear hatch is aluminum, to save weight(tin can sound). Watch the rear brake lines, my 2000's blew out. These are long lasting vehicles, but will nickle and dime you. Good luck.
My hatch is not aluminum......