Identifying front diff. (axle)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJP1351

Reaction score
How do i identify which gear and if its got the vacuum disconnects in the front diff? I've searched the forums but can't find the answers. Even googled it.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume you're having trouble with the AWD system engaging and the driveline binding when turning tight, right?

If so, pull fuse #104 from the underhood fuse box. This is the one that controls the transfercase. Go for a drive and see if the problem has gone away. If it has, look up "the brown wire mod".

As far as which gears you have, look on the door sticker for the axle code and then google a Ford Axle Code decoder. Should be an 8.8" front axle- I think all fronts are 8.8. The rear could be 8.8 or 9.75.

OP
OP
JJP1351

JJP1351

Reaction score
Yes, it's the Auto AWD with Hi Lo. It's got a low grinding feeling in the floor as your traveling down the road. Took it in and was told the front diff was going bad. Was going to just take out the cv's and pull fuse #104 and make it a 2WD till I got under there and realized how easy it would be to swap out the axle. Thanx for the info Tom & Bedrck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman