If the Expedition had the following engine options, which would you choose?

If the Expedition had the following engine options, which would you choose?

• 6.2L V8 411 hp 434 lb-ft 14/18 mpg

Votes: 102 23.7%
  • 5.4L V8 Supercharged 380hp 450 lb-ft 13/17 mpg

Votes: 65 15.1%
  • 5.4L V8 320 hp 365 lb-ft 14/18 mpg

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 3.7L V6 Twin turbo charged 340hp 340lb-ft 16/23 mpg

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • 4.4L Diesel 330 hp 520 lb-ft ~16/22mpg

Votes: 203 47.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daoud el-massri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were me I still will go with the 5.4 reson being the price of diesel it is out rages 4.00 a gallon here in ct my expedition I pay almost 4.00 a gallon now 93 octane with a supercharger tunes by J@M motor sport here in manchester ct 5.4 4/wr 100 4X4 truck has 48, 000 miles112 eaton 3 inch exhaust from cat back putts out 440 hp at rear wheels 390 torque rear wheels I call it my supper expo I did to pull my 25ft gradywhite center console boat .the truck is a blast to drive . Dont know how much hp at motor nor torque at the motor. Just love this truck.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be in the minority here and go with the v6. why? my current one only has 200hp (if it hasn't lost any) which isn't good for a v8 considering I've seen much higher out of smaller engines. the deciding factor for me would be serviceability or running costs. sure, it gets better fuel mileage but if one of those turbos goes out it'll negate the savings from being more efficient.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd choose the V6 because I love everything about my Expedition but the mileage and I'd give up 20 HP and 25 ft/lbs because I wouldn't miss them. I've driven V6s for the last 30 years and have gotten good service from them. On the other hand if the turbocharged engine required high octane gas, then I'd probably just stick with the 5.4 because the extra miles wouldn't offset the extra expense of the high octane gas.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd choose the V6 because I love everything about my Expedition but the mileage and I'd give up 20 HP and 25 ft/lbs because I wouldn't miss them. I've driven V6s for the last 30 years and have gotten good service from them. On the other hand if the turbocharged engine required high octane gas, then I'd probably just stick with the 5.4 because the extra miles wouldn't offset the extra expense of the high octane gas.

With all the extra and improved current sensors it's possible to run a turbo engine on 87 octane. running higher just improves ignition reliability. if you could update the ecu and add the sensors it'd go over well

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm definitely in the minority since it's not on the poll, but I'd take the 5.0. A little more power, a little more torque, and a little better mpg.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
With all the extra and improved current sensors it's possible to run a turbo engine on 87 octane. running higher just improves ignition reliability. if you could update the ecu and add the sensors it'd go over well

Running high compression with boost and low octane fuel, as with the ecoboost, has everything to do with the direct cylinder fuel injection. The timing and how fuel is injected into the cylinder gives it the ability to control or eliminate detonation. It also has a much stronger effect in cooling combustion temps.

High compression, boost and low octane simply cannot be done with port fuel injection with out use of some sort of additional chemical intercooler, octane booster, or simply higher octane fuel.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Being 5 years old this poll needs re-done.

HP and torque numbers are now inaccurate and available motors have since changed.

Ecoboost puts out significantly more power than shown and is 3.5L.

No 5.0 coyote on the list.

And what about the shelby 5.7 supercharged engine?? :))

Last edited:

Paul2003

Reaction score
I think it really needs a diesel. I have a friend with a Mercedes GL that is averaging 21-23 mpg US gallons. My Expedition gets 12-15 mpg. Considering his is faster and tows almost as much ( and diesel averages the same price as regular in Canada) it's by far the best choice for a large SUV.

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lsx >> ford engine anyday of the week
Ford made the best exterior and interior over cheap GM any day of the week.

Last edited: