If the Expedition had the following engine options, which would you choose?

If the Expedition had the following engine options, which would you choose?

• 6.2L V8 411 hp 434 lb-ft 14/18 mpg

Votes: 102 23.7%
  • 5.4L V8 Supercharged 380hp 450 lb-ft 13/17 mpg

Votes: 65 15.1%
  • 5.4L V8 320 hp 365 lb-ft 14/18 mpg

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 3.7L V6 Twin turbo charged 340hp 340lb-ft 16/23 mpg

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • 4.4L Diesel 330 hp 520 lb-ft ~16/22mpg

Votes: 203 47.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would def want to give an expedition a try with the Twin Turbo V-6 they are putting in the new f-150s. I would imagine the change over for ford to add it to the expedition power plant line up wouldn't be too hard since the F-150 is so similar. Of course a V-8 Twin Turbo would be sick as hell but i like what i have now (5.4 v-8). Its got plenty enough for me.

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would bludgeon a rabbi with a pork-chop to have a 4.4 diesel in an Expedition.....I feel the same way about a diesel motor in a Jeep Wrangler too

dave91gt

Reaction score
Why no real mention of the 5.0? I have both to compare with now. The 5.4 6 speed is actually not a bad combo. But, the 5.0 seems to make more power everywhere. We took it to the beach this summer (just got the expy) and the 5.0 in a crew cab FX4 config with 3.73's topped my buddies Yukon 5.3 with cylinder deactivation on fuel mileage. We went from Myrtle Beach to Winstom Salem (he had to fill up to make sure he could get home-right after the derecho and gas stations further north had no power). When we pulled in for gas my trip meter was showing 22.9 mpg and his was at 19.9. I absolutely love my 5.0. But, I must say, the ecoboost and 3.31 gears in an expy would be tantalizing.

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
585 Merlin....I built one, one time.

Or the 527(I think) ford indrustrial engine

Both on carbs or a tbi setup zf6

sent from my mind via telepathy

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Why no real mention of the 5.0? I have both to compare with now. The 5.4 6 speed is actually not a bad combo. But, the 5.0 seems to make more power everywhere. We took it to the beach this summer (just got the expy) and the 5.0 in a crew cab FX4 config with 3.73's topped my buddies Yukon 5.3 with cylinder deactivation on fuel mileage. We went from Myrtle Beach to Winstom Salem (he had to fill up to make sure he could get home-right after the derecho and gas stations further north had no power). When we pulled in for gas my trip meter was showing 22.9 mpg and his was at 19.9. I absolutely love my 5.0. But, I must say, the ecoboost and 3.31 gears in an expy would be tantalizing.

This poll was created in December of 2009. The coyote DOHC 5.0 was not available yet. Think it would definately deserve to be on the list today.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because trucks are about torque, and I tow with my Expy, I'd go with the 4.4 diesel V8.
And IMHO, once you have that, they react much better to chips and custom tunes than gasoline engines, so even at a premium option, if available, between the better mileage, longevity, torque and power potential from a tune, more bang for the buck.
What's not on the original list, and really shocked me, would be the new Ecoboost V6 that's in the F150. For me, nothing comes close to the feeling of a V8. But if you check this out, Ford F-150 EcoBoost Torture Test: Logging In Oregon - YouTube, this thing makes 425 FT LBS of torque right out of the box!
Now I would have to spend $7000 for the Whipple supercharger to get 450 FT LBS. I'll bet it won't get the mileage of the V6. At the risk of loosing that V8 rumble, that new Ecoboost might be a worthy option
and cheaper than the 4.4 diesel if they would ever offer that.

donalds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i've had 2 lightnings
1 stock
1 with a kenne bell swap

that sound is the best sound in the world!

CR_Magruder

Reaction score
Diesel is my first choice. Seemed like such a good idea that I went out and bought an Expedition with high miles and a good body to swap out the 5.4L for something more to my liking. Works for me!

I don't know why Ford does not take the hint and put a small diesel in the Expedition and F-150. If any of the big three did this they would OWN the 1/2 ton market.

Others have commented that the EPA has a lot to do with our choices in engines. This could be true, since the costs of development and added smog equipment adds a lot of cost to the customer. My swap would not meet modern emission requirements, even though it is more efficient than the gasoline engine.

Sad, because Ford sells diesel rangers and larger pickups in other parts of the world with turbodiesels. We the people have elected our government to represent us; if you are not happy with it (I'm not) send your senators and congressmen/women a note and let them know how you feel.

CR