IIHS Safety Rating for 2018 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IIHS has not crash tested the 2018 Expedition. They have crash tested the F150. The F150 got some additional new braces to perform well in the small overlap crash test several years ago. Does anyone know if the new Expedition has the additional braces?

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I asked an engineer at Ford this exact question. She was unable to provide me with an answer, which I would assume to mean that the Expedition did not receive the additional reinforcement.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah the IIHS has not tested any full-size SUVs for at least five years. IIRC, I was unable to find any tests on their site for any model, any year.

There was another thread a while back where someone poked around the wheel wells where the F150 bars were installed and the conclusion was that the Expedition doesn't have them.

My speculation is that if Ford (or any manufacturer) isn't going to have its vehicles in a certain segment tested, they won't bother equipping said vehicles to pass the tests. Sucks for us consumers.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was a topic b4, i think someone pulled up an expy diagram sheet that showed it didnt have it. However, the expy never had it and its always been deemed the safest of the bigs. Though they test differently, the 18 expy did just fine in the nhtsa tests; you can watch the vids and compare its test to others like the explorer, jeep gc, cad escalade, and armada, and the expy is clearly superior.