I'm buying an Expedition, suggestions and knowledge please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I think you may want to call binder and binder or William mattar 7777777 or cellino and Barnes or somebody

Sue the F'in drunk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They found him, police said he answered the door stone drunk. They cannot charge him with DUI but gave him tickets. I didn’t get any tickets thankfully.

They weren’t very happy with him for fleeing the scene.

That sucks. I witnessed a hit and run at 2am a few years ago. The guy plowed into a parked car, got out, and when I aske dhim if he was ok he looked over at the car he hit, burst out laughing, and then got back in his car and sped away. I called the police. They went to his home (with plate number) and said he claimed he was sleeping. They charged him anyway and when I went to court, the entire hearing took about 10 minutes before the judge found him guilty. Laws vary by state though and in some states, they can't even arrest you for DUI if they find you standing next to the vehicle that you were clearly driving. :/

OP
OP
M

muffy

Reaction score
I was away, thank you all! When I said I was weighing both the truck and the trailer, I meant I was paying attention to the amount we were putting into the truck as well as the trailer- the engine has to move everything, after all.

It's a two horse side by side, and the trailer alone weighs 7000 pounds according to the data plate. I keep meaning to weigh it on a scale.

And I'll pay attention to your ideas- sounds as though waiting for a 2018 with the 10 speed would be a good idea, there will be some of them coming off lease soon- I am in no big hurry.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely if you can wait for a used 18’ go for it. The 10 speed is great.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1. What @coolzzy said. Word for word.
17 EL 4x2 with HD tow is rated for 9300 pounds a 4x4 is rated just 100 pounds less at 9200 pounds. You're really looking at super duty territory for 9k pounds though unless only very occasionally towing on flat ground. As others have said, payload will be your limiting factor. If you are looking at a 9k pound rv trailer, plan on 1k pounds of tongue weight. With a WDH the expedition is only rated for 920 pounds of hitch weight.

As for motors, I've owned and pulled the same 6k pound trailer with both and will say the ecoboost is the stronger motor by a mile or three. The 5.4 is a good truck motor but highway cruising with a heavy load will keep you in lower gears and pulling high rpms on any hill. The ecoboost with 3.73 gears hardly breaks a sweat but will get 8-9mpg towing so be ready for that. You'll want the EL for a heavy trailer because it will control sway better due to its longer wheelbase. All thar being said, 9k pounds is too heavy for an expedition if you plan on having anything inside other than a driver. The IRS is soft and requires a good WDH hitch to level the truck. Payload includes hitch weight so keep that in mind.

Also, are we talking about a 9k pound GVWR trailer, or is that the dry rating? Some of these larger trailers have cargo capacities exceeding 2k pounds, so if you came in at an actual weight closer to 8k you'd be a lot better off. Still a lot of tongue weight though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

muffy

Reaction score
And JExpedition, glad you are alright physically and legally- although I feel a bit guilty about the jinx!

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The question I have is whether you are already towing the horse trailer with something. If it is a 3/4 ton vehicle, then the Expedition will feel like a step backward. This comes from experience in towing at the 8K# territory with total weight just under GCWR. Depending on the Expedition's model year, there is an aftermarket anti-sway bar to stiffen the rear, but there is also notation that it does not fit all Gen III Expeditions despite the manufacturer's claim that it does. If you can live with the extra movement in the vehicle's rear and limit carrying stuff inside the vehicle, this might work for you.

The EcoBoost motor and 6 speed tranny are a good combination and will definitely pull well. Where it comes up short is holding back the load on downhill grades. In this scenario, the lack of an additional 2 cylinders or ability to engage a driveline retarder really hits home. Only real way to limit speed here is either to ride the brakes or downshift so that the motor tachs-up to the 5K RPM range. Or as a buddy of mine put it: growling up the hill in 3rd and screaming down in 2nd.

As others already commented, the trailer weight is only part of the picture. The final limit is combined weight (GCWR). With the 9K# trailer, this will leave little to no room for carrying stuff inside the vehicle per Ford's tables. Simply doing the math here is a bit challenging and the best way to get useful numbers is to visit a scale. Some will see the maximum weight tables as a guideline and are comfortable with going over the numbers. And some will not want to play with the limits. It is all a matter of personal appetite for risk.

Personally, with this weight and stated use, I'd go on the hunt for an Excursion or a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 6.0L gas motor and 6 speed transmission. I've driven both the Expedition and 3/4 ton Suburban (with various motors) and Ford benefited when GM dropped that line as the 3/4 ton Suburban really is the better platform for pulling heavy when compared to the Expedition. Am sure that some will flame me for this, but I will return the challenge to use both and then come back with observations.