I'm Stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitdexion

Reaction score
Need more info. Key on is engine light on? Pcm relay/fuse is prevalent, crank sensor is possible. Is theft light on dash flashing fast? Try a different key.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why I recommend a fuel pressure test? What fuel pump did you put in? Even the cheapest made in Shanghai ones should go at least a year, but without a pressure test, you and I are guessing. Please give us a reading, so we can advance to the next step!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Swede252

Reaction score
I know it sounds too simple, but...
My 99F150 had a similar experience, all I found was a loose fuse socket on the starter and ignition fuse, I.e. a bad fuse box... ( dash fuse box )
To fix that I slightly bent the fuse prongs opposite each other, reinstall the fuses, and never had that issue again.
Good luck.. years later a friend’s 97 had the same issue, that fixed his as well.

OP
OP
Matthew T

Matthew T

Reaction score
OK, I have more information. Battery is fully charged and has proper volts and starting amp. Alternator has not been checked and might need to be bench tested if can't get the vehicle to stay running. Craps out in about a minute. The fuel pressure is correct at the rail when key is turned on but, the theft system is intementantly not communicating with the key properly. I.E. it goes into theft mode ( theft light flashes rapidly for 15 mins.). I believe I have a relay, fusible link or wiring issue. It could also be the transponder antenna or ECU. I have checked the engine compartment and passenger compartment fuse boxes thoroughly (opened up both checked for bad connections or bad fuses) I will be bench testing all the applicable relays here in a minute. Next will be the steering column for a wiring issue on the antenna. Then I'll squeeze my 6'4" 300lb ass under the dash and take a look at the ecu. Any other ideas?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How bout the key itself? Do you have a second chip key to try? They do act up and go bad sometimes. The fact that your PATS light is going wonky, says it's shutting down.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, on my 2000 theirs a 30 amp transceiver fuse on inside cabin fuse box. Check yours owners book. Mine is #30 fuse. Be sure you've got power, and ground, and try another 30 amp fuse. I'm sure the others have more info, electricals not my strong suit.