I'm Stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew T

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Expy XLT 4.6l 4x4. I had a no start condition that was preceded by a rough idle and the truck dying while driving. I replaced the fuel pump, filter and relay. The truck started and ran fine for 10 min. yesterday. Today I started the truck and it ran for about a minute and died and now will not start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lets assume the motors ok for now. The fact it ran for the 10 minutes is why. First thing, let's get a fuel pressure test. Key on engine off should show 28-35 psi, if it will fire up, running pressure is 35-45, and hold that pressure. Next pull one of the front sparkplug coils up, stick a sparkplug or spark plug tester, ground against engine. Have an assistant crank engine. Be sure nice blue spark. You can rent the fuel pressure tester from any major auto parts store. One last thing, switch the fuel pump relay with one next to it. My 2000 shorted it's out. Ran fine after switched.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew T

Matthew T

Reaction score
I turns over, but will not start. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pump relay. It started and ran yesterday for 10 min + on 2 occasions. today it started and died in about a minute and has gone back to the crank no start condition it had previous to the fuel pump, filter and relay replacement. I can't figure out why the repair seemed to work and then didn't.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vacuum leak.
Idle Air Control valve
Battery/alternator
Check engine codes?

Just what comes to mind based on what you’ve given us.

OP
OP
Matthew T

Matthew T

Reaction score
No check engine codes. battery tested fine when I diagnosed this before the repair. IAC and vacuum leak do sound like possibilities. But why would this thing run fine right after I did the fuel pump replacement? It went from a crank no start to running and is now back to the crank no start condition.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you "had" before the fuel pump replacement compared to what you currently "have" can be two different things. Either the fuel or spark have dropped out. Get the facts.
What is the fuel pressure before cranking?
Is there spark while cranking?
Can you connect to the pcm with a reader?

gbosin

Reaction score
On a different Ford of that era I had a similar condition. PCM relay was shorting and blowing the PCM fuse. Check your fuses?

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on the symptoms you gave us-it ran, but now it cranks with no start, let's assume that you have spark, HAD fuel, and it has air, I'd start with addressing the fuel angle.