In dash DVD...do I have to mount it there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got an in-dash DVD/Mp3/ radio etc. etc. player and a 12" flip down screen.

I like the stock radio and do not want to remove it.

Can I mount this new radio/DVD player somewhere else and use it just to play DVDs on the new screen?

I just need power, right?

Oh wait...what about sound?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see why you couldn't.

For the sound you can easily splice into your existing speaker wire so it plays out of your speakers. You would just have to turn the stock radio off while playing a DVD so it doesn't interfere.

The only problem that I see is where are you going to mount the head unit? Glovebox maybe?

Robert Paulson

Reaction score
the way i hooked up my carputer's sound was by running one of those casette adapters from the tower. maybe you could somehow rig one of those to the DVD player?

believe it or not, they actually sound pretty damn good!!

OP
OP
M

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Splicing into the speakers would be easy enough.

What would be REALLY cool is making so when you turned on the rear audio controls, it switched to running the sound for the DVD through the back speakers and left the front ones alone...

But I'm not that savvy.

I was thinking of putting it where the power receptacle is on the passenger side of the console. I was going to CUT! :O a hole there to mount the new DVD player.

I, for some reason, have no problem cutting up my truck... :D

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could put in an actual switch somewhere and when you want to play the DVD you would just flip the switch and it would cut off the sound to the backspeakers comming from the cd player. It would be really easy especially since you would already have it all opened up to wire the DVD player.
If youre going to cut in, you could even make a little slot for the switch.