In dash radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their oem radio with an aftermarket 2 din system? I am thinking about it but would hate to deviate from the factory look. Any suggestions?

G

Maybe the speaker replacement would be better

Have to say they sound terrible on mine. I'm looking to get some MAch or Bose replacements. Muffled and not clear.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a preliminary step, you may wish to pull the current radio to verify sufficient depth for a double-Din setup. On 1997-2002 Expys, a bracket behind the radio has to be removed (cut off) to accomodate double-Din. Otherwise, available room diminishes from double-Din at the faceplate to about 1.5 Din as you look back into the cavity.

Again, this info is in regard to pre-2003 models, so it may be moot for you. But I would verify anyway.

G

I was going to have a double din installed when I upgraded my radio, but went for the 1 1/2. I liked the look of the 1/2 din EQ better and the smaller EQ does the job. The faceplate kit was already set for 1 1/2 so it looks great in the dash. The bracket had to be removed even to install the 1 1/2 din, due to the mounting depth. The installer took a saw to it and the rest is history.

Pat