Increasing Oil Level / Crankcase Pressure Sensor Performance (P051B)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lefse4Lyf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Backstory: About 45 days ago, I bought a 2016 Ford Expedition w/ the 3.5 ecoboost (EL King Ranch) w 86k miles. Within the first two weeks of owning it, we dropped down to negative 20 degree days and we had to make some longer trips. As always, I let my truck warm up a bit to the point of the RPM dropping and I typically don't run a car without letting it warm up fully. We did about a 200 mile day through those temps which I would typically not be concerned about, but the plugs fouled out with misfire codes. I was on the interstate and went to pass someone and the truck went into limp mode. That was the night of the 12/24. I found a place that sold the plugs that weekend and changed them out the next day. They were very carboned up which I heard isn't uncommon. I drive back home the 200 miles and the truck is running fine. Fast forward a few days I get a check engline light. I stop by OReilly's and scan the code. The codes were P051B, P04DB, P051B (x2). It didn't dawn on me to check the oil at this point until the next day. Next day I check the oil and it was about twice as high as it should be. I call the used dealership and they thought maybe someone overfilled it and they put new 6qts in. They cleared the codes and within a day, the codes come back and I checked to see if it smells like gas - it did (a crank case sensor pressure sensor was at least a week out in delivery time). I replaced the PCV valve and the high pressure fuel pump and only one code came back P051B.

So my question is this: Is it likely I have a stuck fuel injector? It doesn't seem like it has a loss of power and I wouldn't think I have a gas blowing by the pistion. FWIW - the gas mileage has been terrible on the highway like 12 - 15.5 MPG

Thoughts/Recommendations?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on the vehicle ? If you take the oil fill cap off with the motor running do you get an abnormally high amount of crankcase vapor coming out of the fill cap area ? ( You really shouldn't get much at all...). The P051B might just be a bad pressure switch in the pipe. It's worth replacing before you go into anything real expensive with the motor. A previous owner might've cooked the motor and just traded it in and this used car dealer bought it at auction, not knowing any history of the vehicle. If the motor was in fact overfilled with oil, that can cause problems for the sensor as well. It's as much work to remove / clean / re-install the oid sensor assembly as it is to just install a new one. So that's up to you.

724296f1107499c57da7e9c924437518.jpg

Ford Ecoboost Crankcase Pressure Switch Tube Assembly

YouTube on Replacing the Ecoboost Crankcase Pressure Switch Assembly

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lefse4Lyf

Reaction score
Can a simple sensor really push gas into the oil? If so, I have a sensor ready for pickup tomorrow. It's got 86,000 miles on it.

Brons2

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Backstory: About 45 days ago, I bought a 2016 Ford Expedition w/ the 3.5 ecoboost (EL King Ranch) w 86k miles. Within the first two weeks of owning it, we dropped down to negative 20 degree days and we had to make some longer trips. As always, I let my truck warm up a bit to the point of the RPM dropping and I typically don't run a car without letting it warm up fully. We did about a 200 mile day through those temps which I would typically not be concerned about, but the plugs fouled out with misfire codes. I was on the interstate and went to pass someone and the truck went into limp mode. That was the night of the 12/24. I found a place that sold the plugs that weekend and changed them out the next day. They were very carboned up which I heard isn't uncommon. I drive back home the 200 miles and the truck is running fine. Fast forward a few days I get a check engline light. I stop by OReilly's and scan the code. The codes were P051B, P04DB, P051B (x2). It didn't dawn on me to check the oil at this point until the next day. Next day I check the oil and it was about twice as high as it should be. I call the used dealership and they thought maybe someone overfilled it and they put new 6qts in. They cleared the codes and within a day, the codes come back and I checked to see if it smells like gas - it did (a crank case sensor pressure sensor was at least a week out in delivery time). I replaced the PCV valve and the high pressure fuel pump and only one code came back P051B.

So my question is this: Is it likely I have a stuck fuel injector? It doesn't seem like it has a loss of power and I wouldn't think I have a gas blowing by the pistion. FWIW - the gas mileage has been terrible on the highway like 12 - 15.5 MPG

Thoughts/Recommendations?
I don't know about your problem per se, but, allowing a direct injection engine time to fully warm up idling is a bad idea. DI engines are notorious for fuel dilution. Yes, give it a little bit of time after you start it to come off high idle and stablize, but then, gently drive off until it's warmed up.

mygsris2slo4u

Reaction score
I had this issue about 20k miles ago with the same code thrown. I replaced the sensor and got the code again. After more reading and understanding of DI fuel dilution issues I changed the oil (it stunk like gas and was approaching 5k miles on it) and have not had another issue since. I have continued to do 3k oil changes to avoid the fuel dilution issues.

I'll add that our driving style is probably the worst possible. Short trips and lots of idling in the school pickup line (wife) followed by highway towing (4k lb load) a few times a month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire