Installing subs to factory headunit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LightningExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ive tried reseaching on how to do this but i cant seem to find out what i need to know. im purchasing 2 12" JBL subwoofers along with a profile amp but im keeping the factory headunit. my question is what else do i need to purchase for this to work. i have friends that know how to install the wiring to an aftermarket headunit but have never done it to the stock headunit. is there any guides or tutorials that can help me out? or does anyone have any steps that can help me out to achieve this? thanks for the help

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will need to tap into the factory speaker wires. Depending on your amplifier, you may need to use a Line Output Converter. Use the LOC if your amp only has RCA inputs. If it has Speaker-Level inputs, you can tap in on the factory speaker wires and run the wires to the harness provided with the amp.
Here's a place to find wiring diagrams so you know what to tap in to: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehiclewiring/1/yeard/Ford.html
If you can't find your year, find one of the same generation, it should be the same.
Hope that helps.
Check out some car audio forums and search for general instructions/tutorials there, if needed. It shouldn't be too hard to find and follow. Good luck.

PS-I have no idea what the hell elighthunter is saying...???

OP
OP
L

LightningExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for your help, i was actually calling around today at some local shops to find out what i need and i was told i need a converter? for it to work with the factory headunit cost about 15$, my amp im getting is the profile ap 1200. im starting to wonder if i should just have it installed by a professional they told me they would do it for 50$ so that might be the better decision so its done right.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$50 isn't a bad price...if you trust they'll do a good, quality job, then you should probably go for it. Be sure to post up some pix here when its done! Good luck!

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Re: stop

Originally posted by XLTman
stop

what???

and elighthunter...thanks for the clarification...btw, how do you like that mtx stealthbox setup? Tell me about it-I'm considering getting one...

elighthunter

Reaction score
honestly I really like it. very very good punch ha if you live near dayton ohio I'd let you listen to it. Actaully looking to sell mine to get the pre amped one. bassically the amp is on the box that goes with the sub. great punch for the buck specailly if you go on road trips and need the space the sub that comes with it is a weaker 10' sub but i like it (factory mach's still) thing that I really dislike about the 99 expo is that if you are in back lol poor sukers all you hear is the bass just added stock mach 5x7 in the hatch to fix that problem tho

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the input. PM whenever you are thinking about selling it. I might be interested...