Intake timing retarted to no oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squatch98

Reaction score
A month ago, my 2006 Expedition limited threw the dreaded p0022 code for intake timing. It was making the god awful phaser noise on start up but would go away. It would also run a tad rough like a minor misfire but no misfires. My first thought was the cam phaser but was fix 10,000 miles ago. Was driving it home a couple days ago and it was feeling sluggish and had trouble keeping 55mph up a hill. 55mph went to 45mph then to 35mph. As I came to a stop there was the lovely and constant valvetrain noise. Just a couple miles until home? No problem right? WRONG. My oil pressure gauge start bouncing, 60%-0%-60%-0%-60%... flatline. I pull over and check my oil level. How peculiar, it's full! Just a little bit further. I started it back up, it started fine. Oil pressure bounced and held steady at 60% so I went for it... it said no. Going down a hill it shut itself off completely even the radio shut off like I turned the key off, no dummy lights nothing. I pulled over and try to start it back up, not even a crank out of it. DIW. Now in my mind I'm thinking my oil pump started going ever since it threw the first code. The oil pressure wasn't sufficient enough to operate the phasers like they should but sufficient enough to not throw any other code, and now it must've just went. Any other big brains out there think of a different failiure?

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
The oil pressure gauge relies on a switch that senses somewhere near 10 psi. It’s either at 60% or 0. I wouldn’t worry about that because oil pumps are incredibly reliable. If you haven’t already, put a load tester on the battery and see what you get. No crank screams electric, regardless of cam phaser codes. Do other electrical items like headlights and radio work normally? Also, phaser noise on startup is an outlier, startup noise is normally the timing chain slapping against the guide due to tensioner failure. Gut feeling is you have compound problems based on the description, timing system issues with electrical issues. I have an 06 as well, and like to run FORScan lite on the iPhone while I’m driving, using an OBDLink MXII bluetooth adapter. If you’re driving a Gen 2 Expedition with a 5.4, anything can happen at any time.

OP
OP
S

squatch98

Reaction score
Yes all other electronics work as intended radio, dummy lights headlights turn signals everything. Anytime I turn the key I can her the starter engage but will not crank the engine over. I have never had electrical issues with this truck

mhg1

Reaction score
Sounds like the new cam phasers died. Lose of oil pressure gave you the valve clatter noise.
The oil pressure gauge only tells you that you have 7 PSI or more. When it drops to 0 PSI
it means there is less than 7 PSI. A fancy idiot light. Your engine is probably toast.
You should have stopped and not forced the engine to run when it was telling you there is something wrong.
Sorry for the bad info. YMMV. Mike

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could also be a bad starter motor, my 08 recently failed in a similar way, I can turn the key, I hear a clunk as the starter motor engages, but the starter motor makes no attempt to rotate the crankshaft Or turn the engine over. If your lucky, it might be as simple as changing the starter motor (one bolt is a bugger to get to, but it’s an easy job, took me less than 30 minutes to change & the car now starts perfectly). Just an idea..

Gilles Boudreau

Reaction score
I don't know if all the really aggressive bugs could be from your engine shutting down and back on. I dealt with a bit of a similar problem. Only mine was not as aggressive and allarming. My 2003 5.4 has been by far the most reliable vehicle in my life. Only it felt sluggish, tired, lost of fuel mileage over time. I was getting misfire codes and a few others. Then I started feeling the pedal like I lost a cylinder. As soon as I got home I pulled the ram air filter off and cleaned the mass air flow sensor. That felt a bit better but came back sporadically. Even turned off at times. I played around with the mass air flow and turned the truck on and thought I must have fixed it then noticed the mass air flow sensor was left disconnected by accident. The SUV ran the same with or without the mass air flow sensor off. Everytime I plugged it in or took off the truck stalled out which had me puzzled. If it's not working, why is it stalling when plugging it in or unplugging? I thought I had a bad plug, wire or sensor. I found a used sensor on eBay and put that in. Not only has my Expedition come back to life after 10 plus years of feeling tired and lost of power but gas mileage jumped up to 60 gallons last fill up. The symptoms of a bad mass air flow sensor only showed up when I felt the problem in the gas pedal but they had been there all along just not bad enough for me to point at the mass air flow. I own an Autel Maxicom MK 808BT reader. I thought I'll just plug this in and it will tell me everything I need to know. I skipped the idea of a massive learning process for DIY without any experience with these tools. It has a dummy code reading section but offers a whole lot more than I have time to learn. At no time did that reader pick up the mass air flow sensor. It cost me $26 to use a mass air flow sensor to bring this 5.4 back to life. BTW all the other intermittent issues seem to have disappeared also. I don't know if this is something that would help with your issues but for the small amount of money I would change that before spending big money on anything else. I read just about everywhere that these sensors are made to last the life of the vehicles. They barely ever go bad etc. I wish I reacted way sooner to avoid any long term damage I might have caused with the wrong fuel air mixtures I put in this engine.

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
I’d drop the lower fan shroud and see if you can turn the engine over with a breaker bar and socket on the balancer bolt. That will be revealing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire