interesting MPG readings last two days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The insta-read is showing about 17.5 in town, and 19 crusing about 70. Prior to swapping from the 'Max Perf' tune, I was seeing about 17hwy.

MAYBE the tuner is simply re-programming the insta-read mpg to be wrong? :)

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a smart phone, there are many different apps that track MPG's accurately. I have an iPhone and use Gas Cubby. It would help verify the readings. Also if switching the tune reset the comp it might take a week or two for the reset fuel mileage to average out.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha you input your mileage at the fill up as well as the amount of gallons it took to fill all the way up. It does some fancy math stuff (simple division really) and calculates it out. You have to remember to do it each fill up but I got in the habit quickly.

db6bf3d5b0abc8922b8d7556623ae9b2.jpg

Sent from the Pocket Computer

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pic isn't showing for me -

The thing is, that only works if I know the speedometer is accurate. I can't prove that it is. If the speedometer is innacurate so will my miles-driven be off.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have bigger tires. GPS speedometer (another phone app) and some math shows I lose 1 mile for every 100 I actually drive. That is such a minimal difference the MPG's won't be too far off.

At 70 mph my speedo read about 3-4mph slow. Besides, the truck doesn't know you have bigger tires (unless it's in the tune?) and so the odometer in the truck will be just as accurate as the phone.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure, but like I said I checked the math too and it all was about the same. Unless your speedometer is incredibly off, it will all average out about the same. The difference is small enough to be negligible.