interior light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mothra

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2008 Ford Expedition EL Limited RWD (198,000). I have done some searches and tested a few things but I am still confounded by trying to get the interior lights to go out with the doors closed. With the fuse installed all of the lights are on and stay on regardless of positions for the dash switch and the ceiling switch at the rear. With the fuse removed the rear hatch lamp and the glove box lamp do not work regardless of switch position. The remaining lamps can be manually turned on and off if the front dial is turned all the way to the top past the click (I think this would be the always on position). In all other positions the lights cannot be turned on. I do not have a door ajar indication so I think that my door switches are not the issue (I sprayed them anyway with a silicon lubricant).

Is there a relay that could be stuck? How common are failures with the switch itself? Anything else I should check/test?

FYI I do not have any other interior electrical issues with the truck. windows, sunroof, hatch, seats all work. I have an intermittent battery light (charging gauge is always showing good) but i think the battery lamp is an unrelated issue.

OP
OP
M

mothra

Reaction score
Do you have any door open warning light indications on the instrument cluster?

Nope

A new switch is about $20. That would eliminate that as an issue anyway.

For $20 I'll give a try

OP
OP
M

mothra

Reaction score
Unfortunately a new switch didn’t fix it. They stay on until the battery saver kicks in. Super odd.

What’s next to check?