Interior swap - 2015-2017 into 2009?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate Carlson

Reaction score
Hey all!

I just sorta "accidentally" purchased a 2009 Expedition EL XLT off Copart; I tossed in a bid that I never thought would win.. and, well, it won. :) It's a dealer vehicle (runs and drives, clean title, appears to be in pretty good shape), but is a pretty base model - cloth seats, manual AC controls, etc. It theoretically should be showing up on the delivery truck late this week.

I've got a 2017 that my wife drives most of the time; it's an XLT with most features (nav, leather, etc) and really like the interior of it. I'm curious - if I were to find a wrecked 2015-2017 (the facelifted models with the new electronics and 3.5L engine) with the interior intact and no blown airbags, what are the chances that I could swap the interior over? I'm pretty sure the seats would physically fit - and my hope is that I can steal enough parts (wiring harnesses/etc) from the 2017 to make everything "plug and play". Ideally I'd want to swap the gauges, dash, HVAC controls, nav, etc over too - again, with all wiring harnesses.

I've seen posts where people were able to take the dash including harnesses from a slightly newer F150 and update an older one - but I'm just not sure if Ford would've kept interfaces to the engine the same when facelifting the Expedition, or if the dash controls just wouldn't work because of the change in engine and transmission. I'm not finding anything with my searches - but I'm hoping I'm just searching wrong and that this has been done before. :) Before going forward with this, I'd obviously need to acquire wiring diagrams for both the 2009 and whatever model year I end up looking at for a donor, and study in detail.

If I can't grab the components from a 2015-2017, I'm fairly certain that I could grab the parts from a 2009-2014 Expedition? Same engine, transmission, etc..

Appreciate your thoughts!!

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I think you'd have a lot of problems getting the dash to communicate correctly with the 5.4L. I'm sure everything would bolt up and physically fit with no problem otherwise. I've never thought of attempted to do this, so take my comments with a grain or two of salt.
First thing I'd do (which I did for my situation) is to pick up the wiring diagram manual for the 2017 Expy.

OP
OP
N

Nate Carlson

Reaction score
I think you'd have a lot of problems getting the dash to communicate correctly with the 5.4L.

Yeah, that's my primary concern. I was hoping that the communications between the dash and the engine would be "generic", but really have no clue. :)

First thing I'd do (which I did for my situation) is to pick up the wiring diagram manual for the 2017 Expy.

Agreed - any recommendations for where to go for a quality diagram at a reasonable price?

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you decide to do this I think you should do a video series on it or keep us informed as to the progress I would like to know how it goes subscribed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get this truck you’ll realize the 15-17’ interior is largely a carbon copy of the 07-14’ with slight changes. The dash, door panels, seats, center console, headliner are all the same. Only the center stack and instrument cluster are different.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Oh, wow, old-school actual physical book!

Cool, once I've actually got the truck in hand and see what I'm dealing with I'll take a look!
I'd rather they were digital pdf, but they're a great reference either way.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2009 KR:
26FFAB75-75DB-4073-AEAA-5809B705E9E4.jpeg
2017 KR:
0BD99DAC-92DD-4FDE-BF92-8D8F7B84E5B8.jpeg

Main differences are just center stack and instrument cluster. That and the 07-14’ trucks use the Super Duty F-250 steering wheel vs the 15-17 using the F-150 steering wheel.

Last edited:

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
When you get this truck you’ll realize the 15-17’ interior is largely a carbon copy of the 07-14’ with slight changes. The dash, door panels, seats, center console, headliner are all the same. Only the center stack and instrument cluster are different.
I might be imagining it lol, but my 17 Platinum's interior seems like a lot nicer quality than my 07 Eddie Bauer. I don't think it's just because it's 10 years newer, but it could be. For the most part you're right though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701