Interior swap - 2015-2017 into 2009?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you willing to share how much you paid? Apparently you have to contact an installer for a quote; don't want to sign myself up for all the spam until I'm actually to the point where I might be interested in doing it. :)

You can get returned/unclaimed kits on ebay or craigslist for $200-350 for the whole set

Apparently installers dump em there if the wrong color gets ordered or something

Regardless of what it says on the ad, heated and cooled seats aside, afaik there's just TWO year variations and TWO model variations:

1) headrests : 2007-2008 for humane ergonomic short headrests, 2009-2017 for federally mandated forward tilt elongated neck torture headrests... otherwise interchangeable

2) 3rd row fold: power or latch-lever... otherwise interchangeable if you staple patches to the latch holes on the carpet back or something (there's HDF fibreboard underneath) for power, or carefully cut for manual

Otherwise... it might say 2009 swb or 2015 EL, but it's all the same

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nate Carlson

Reaction score
You can get returned/unclaimed kits on ebay or craigslist for $200-350 for the whole set

Apparently installers dump em there if the wrong color gets ordered or something
<..>
Otherwise... it might say 2009 swb or 2015 EL, but it's all the same

Good to know -- thanks!!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had no issues with it in either my previous 2014 EL XLT or my current 2017 EL XLT; like the cooling feature too. :)

That's surprising. The climate-controlled seats seem to be fairly trouble-prone based on what I've read/heard. They don't quite have the legendary status of the s*itty power running boards though. :D

On a side note, I actually don't like them anyway. The cooling function feels odd to me and the heating function doesn't work nearly as well as a traditional system.

Reaction score
Any updates on this as to if the instrument cluster/speedometer alone is swappable from a 2015 to an 2007?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Almost certain this swap is next to impossible for anyone but a Ford engineer. 2015-17's are EcoBoost and that's a totally different setup from the 2007. Also, the Instrument Cluster (IC) is one of the most important modules in the network. It's a "gateway" module that passes info between the different CANBus networks inside the vehicle. It's my understanding that if the IC is missing, the vehicle won't start. So, if you try to tamper with it (by swapping in another one) your truck might end up crippled and unable to function.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost certain this swap is next to impossible for anyone but a Ford engineer. 2015-17's are EcoBoost and that's a totally different setup from the 2007. Also, the Instrument Cluster (IC) is one of the most important modules in the network. It's a "gateway" module that passes info between the different CANBus networks inside the vehicle. It's my understanding that if the IC is missing, the vehicle won't start. So, if you try to tamper with it (by swapping in another one) your truck might end up crippled and unable to function.

There is a European user with a unicorn on here that has a 2015 Expedition with the 5.4L V8 and it has the 15-17 dash and bodywork. It is setup for the 5.4L redline on the tach so looked to be legit Ford for some cancelled order. We couldn’t figure out if it was legit, a wrecked/ stolen 2014, or a 2015 with the EcoBoost replaced with the 5.4 Triton. Either way it all worked and the pics baffled me, it was a 2015 dash with a 5,200 RPM redline.

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This sounds like an interesting nightmare, lol... With all the headaches, work and expenses to get it done and working properly, one would probably be better off buying a wrecked 2017 for cheap and getting it fixed with new gen compatible parts...

Reverse engineering modern cars is a rabbit hole very few people would venture into.