Intermittent coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped my kid at swim and was reading the forum when I smelled that smell a saw that steam coming under the hood. Cranked the heat and popped the hood. It wasn't actively leaking but, under this thing ( check valve ? ) was the only thing wet other than the plug wells.

The t-fitting was replaced by the previous owner.

I'm I going to have to replace the whole hose assembly , I'm thinking yes.

Anyone else get a leak there?

20210505_163022.jpg

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a leak there around 100k miles. At the time I was able to pick up all 3 heater hoses for $90, so I just replaced them all at once along with the thermostat (Stant Superstat).

OP
OP
F

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Uh-oh.
New assembly came. Something is not right. Any thoughts? W16205095412195025363680874622778.jpg 1620509574875269016281650565730.jpg

It's 5 inches longer . Is there another quick connect directly at the firewall? Or do I chop it.16205097067415399687365135710244.jpg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Is that odd thing an extension that can be removed to make the assembly shorter? I recall some years had an extender on them.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's 5 inches longer . Is there another quick connect directly at the firewall?

If you look up there near the firewall / heater core pipe area, you'll see that Ford, in their Rube Goldberg thinking, put a short rubber extension on the heater core pipe itself originally. Later on, as many hose failures occurred and had to be repaired, they deleted that short extension, and just made the replacement heater hose assembly ( what you bought to replace the original hose...) longer, to fit without the short extension on the heater core pipe. So, you can either remove that short piece off the heater core pipe, as Ford now intends you to do, or you can cut and splice with a 5/8" barbed brass splice fitting in the replacement hose as needed to make it fit.

Here's a video, but you can skip to the 8:30 point if you just want to see the short extensions there....

This is the tool I use to release those stupid quick connects.... slide the 5/8" end in the QC slot to compress the white clip tips, PUSH the hose TOWARD the heater core, and pull hose off... recover the white clip and O-ring off the core pipe and reinstall into hose if needed....

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-27106-Heater-Hose-Disconnect/dp/B004FEHZB4

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look up there near the firewall / heater core pipe area, you'll see that Ford, in their Rube Goldberg thinking, put a short rubber extension on the heater core pipe itself originally. Later on, as many hose failures occurred and had to be repaired, they deleted that short extension, and just made the replacement heater hose assembly ( what you bought to replace the original hose...) longer, to fit without the short extension on the heater core pipe. So, you can either remove that short piece off the heater core pipe, as Ford now intends you to do, or you can cut and splice with a 5/8" barbed brass splice fitting in the replacement hose as needed to make it fit.

Here's a video, but you can skip to the 8:30 point if you just want to see the short extensions there....

This is the tool I use to release those stupid quick connects.... slide the 5/8" end in the QC slot to compress the white clip tips, PUSH the hose TOWARD the heater core, and pull hose off... recover the white clip and O-ring off the core pipe and reinstall into hose if needed....

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-27106-Heater-Hose-Disconnect/dp/B004FEHZB4

This forum will keep these trucks running running forever.

Hamfisted, I saw that extension thing on Tasca. You're the man!. ( but I still haven't decided to cut the tube or do it right) . Though, anytime I take the quick route on my baby, she gets angry and it bites my are for it down the road.

Thanks Hamfisted!

Glen B Ashcroft

Reaction score
they are a bear, i had the hole thing replaced by the dealer, all the parts were separate, kept having leaks and they had chosen not to replace 1, that should be sold a a kit
ended up killing a coil too

what a cluster that is

OP
OP
F

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:

"Put her in the stirrups " and climbed on her. Stuck my hand right up to her firewall
And pinched the edge of the disconnect until my fingers went numb. She finally let go and "squirted" about a half cup of fluid on the coils.
A smarter man would have put a towel under it or drained it down.

The Crack was just next to the mold line20210510_181751.jpg