Intermittent low fuel and oil pressure light

Discussion in '1st Gen - 1997 - 2002' started by Travistyson1, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Travistyson1

Travistyson1 Active Member

98 expedition xlt 5.4 4WD auto
    On my way to work the fuel and oil lights were coming on intermittently. The fuel is over 1/2 tank and the Oil pressure was good. Plugged in my logger to make sure. Any ideas at all on where to start. I have had something draining my battery lately as well

2. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

I'd get a schematic and see if the 2 share either a hot, or a ground. It's possible one of your grounds is loose, or corroded. I'll check my 2000 schematic later, although it may be different than yours.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

3. Travistyson1

I was thinking it has to do with the electrical system also. Considering something keeps draining my battery. Usually it has to sit for several days before going dead

4. Don Hall

Don Hall Supporting Member Supporting Member

Batt going dead in several days is not normal. My '04 may sit for 14 days, and starts immediately.

To check for a parasitic drain, connect an ammeter between the + batt post and the + batt cable. Pull and replace one fuse at a time, and when you see an decrease in amps, you have located the circuit causing the parasitic drain. Unfortunately, a fuse may protect more than one circuit, so more analysis may be required.

Yes, I'm aware I haven't provided a solution to the fuel and oil lights, but the parasitic drain may be a short within those circuits.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
  5. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

Check ground points behind both kick panels

6. Travistyson1

Thanks guys I believe it is resolved. Checked the battery, and the ground on the firewall was loose. Tightened it up and she started right up have not seem the lights on since. I do still need to follow through and do the test to see what's draining the battery.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  7. 1955moose

You can do the same test with a volt/ohm meter set on milli amps, removing one fuse at a time. Theirs great videos online that can walk you through it.

8. Travistyson1

I did a little bit of testing to find out if anything was still drawing on the battery. Ever since I fix the ground wire that was by the battery, all the problems seem to be resolved. Thanks for the advice guys

9. 1955moose

If you've got a bad ground wire, the positive doesn't have a starting point. People think our vehicles power flow starts with the positive, when actually it starts at ground. That is why their so critical. They all need to be clean and tight. Glad you got it.