Intermittent Misfire, Line $06 data

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calabrio

Reaction score
1998 Navigator has a misfire that's worse when the engine hasn't been run for a day or it's cold outside. Unfortunately, it's also not throwing any codes.

The plugs and wires are all brand new motorcraft parts, no more than four months old.

I hooked up my BLUEDRIVER to it hoping to retrieve the line6 data and see which cylinder(s) are reporting the misfire. Unfortunately, I don't see TID 51 or 53 in the report.

I contacted BLUEDRIVER and they said that the truck might not record that data.
Could that be true? I find that difficult to believe.

How else can I identify the misfire short of randomly replacing parts?

OP
OP
Calabrio

Calabrio

Reaction score
Interesting-
I'm using a Bluedriver and the Mode$06 data doesn't include anything over TID50.

The support team at BlueDriver are very helpful and responsive, but they don't know why this would be, unless the '98 didn't support the test counting misfires.
Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thank you for the response, but I don't think I have the equipment to do a cylinder balance test.
The only diagnostic gear I have on hand is limited to a BLUEDRIVER OBDII reader.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Test for pending codes. I know at Orilies the check missfires per cylinder but has to have check engine lite on

Generaly hook it up test for error codes even though none will show pending. What’s to mfg/modle scanner see if I see how its done on yours

OP
OP
Calabrio

Calabrio

Reaction score
There's the challenge, it's not throwing any code.
That's why I was hoping that the mode6 data would provide the information.

OP
OP
Calabrio

Calabrio

Reaction score
Has anyone else used any of the non-proprietary obdII scanners on the '98? Were you able to recover the misfire data that should be in $53? I still can't recover anything over $50

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well first off test resistance across pins in injectors and COPs, to see if there's one that stands out.

If not... pull up fuel rail and visually inspect injectors for clogs. Possibly remove injectors and manually test them by applying a 9v battery to the pins.

How intermittent, btw? Could you quickly tell if the misfiring cylinder was no longer misfiring? Then unplugging corresponding COPs and injectors you can try running on 7 cylinders and seeing if deactivating that cylinder makes things worse or better

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS can you use Torque Lite / Pro with this Bluedriver thing, or just proprietary software??

Cuz Torque can pull pending codes just fine

OP
OP
Calabrio

Calabrio

Reaction score
Increasingly consistent misfire-
when it's misfiring, you know. But sometimes, it doesn't. Sometimes at idle. Most likely when under load. Worse when cold.

I'd like to disturb as little as possible, so if I can use the OBDII data to provide some focus, I'd prefer to do that.
And, I know I'm not alone, but I'd like to disturb cylinders 4 & 8 as little as possible. I find #4 to be a truly hateful place.

Regarding the scanner:
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/lemur-bluedriver/review/

I think it's limited to their proprietary software, which is generally exceptionally good, constantly being updated, and very well supported.

This is the MODE6 data I'm pulling.

Attachments

• ModeSix-Dec_14_2017_06-01-37-PM.pdf
    24.2 KB · Views: 1

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im not sure how different your engine bay is laid out, but I found #8 to be a bit of a pain but less than expected....and #3 was it? Not 4 like expected but either 3 or 7, something making the angle of access really awkward

I didnt take off anything whatsoever to access them though, just left everything in place. And stood on a footstool to reach in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker